Tristar (!) Panzer IV Ausführung B

Participants in the SHELF QUEEN Group Build post here.
Bryan Krueger
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Tristar (!) Panzer IV Ausführung B

Post by Bryan Krueger »

The turpentine stripped the paint off? Wow, that's some harsh stuff! I'm sorry to hear about the carnage. :cry:
AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Oh my... :?

At least it didn't melt....speaking from experience :roll:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Thanks Bryan and Philipp. :)

All right... played another round, collected a layer of PU varnish and now I'm back at the point I was before...

It's bit dirty with fragments and some annoying late-manifesting leftovers though it doens't really matter since it will be dusty anyway...

Oh and I had no PzDiv 1 markings left, so I gave it the fun "1968-'peace'-PzDiv-3-in-1941" decals. ;)

=>

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

""Holy melt down Batman"" :o

That was a seriously timely escape, Raoul

Nice recovery too, The misunderstood Beatnik sign looks cool 8-)

I guess all symbology changes with the ages

Hakenkreuz, gammadion, cross cramponnée, croix gammée, fylfot or tetraskelion To mention just one

Overdue a timely update, this weekend

Keep at it Raoul, it is getting there ;)

regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Thanks
Oh yes...it's a sad fact that repurposing symbols has been around for as long as humans use semiotics... still it can be really annoying, witness the current right wing scum in Eastern Germany, they fly the fake (because the correctly proportioned one can only be flown by federal institutions) state insigniae of the black eagle (Holy Roman Empire, also Prussia...) on Black-Red-Gold, which was despised by the original Nazis, they fly the Black-White-Red which was banned by the NSDAP because it was monarchist... the degenerate bastards (pardon me, but it's the truth) even dare to display the Nordic Cross design flag in the German colours planned to be the national flag had the July 20th coup succeeded... but I should stop this, this will only end in me suggesting to deal with the whole brown lot the way the police in Bavaria did in '23, only more so... ;)

Errr...sorry, that was totally off-topic... it's just a bit unnerving...

ANYWAY:

I applied oils to the whole tank, and lo and behold, it stays on... but in an interesting not-at-all-twist the very minor corners where apparently the PU varnish took no hold look almost clinically clean of anything after going over it with the oils :shock: :? :x .
Luckily it's just corners that will be full of dust or mud anyway, and I will give them a minor brushed on coat of grey before that so it won't be evident... still... :roll:
Oh and the Beatnik symbol displayed by the 3rd Panzer is an inverted "z" of the elder Futhark runic "alphabet"; actually a whole lot of the simpler division symbols are runic or runic derived symbols... there are still "odal"(this one here => ᛟ) runes on the shoulder boards of NCO's in the modern German army...

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
who will endeavour to keep this outbursts to himself in the future... :oops:

Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

You recovered the situation very well Raoul, despite the chaos. I'm glad I don't have any Tristar kits!! :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Raoul Kunz wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 22:55 Thanks
Oh yes...it's a sad fact that repurposing symbols has been around for as long as humans use semiotics... still it can be really annoying, witness the current right wing scum in Eastern Germany, they fly the fake (because the correctly proportioned one can only be flown by federal institutions) state insigniae of the black eagle (Holy Roman Empire, also Prussia...) on Black-Red-Gold, which was despised by the original Nazis, they fly the Black-White-Red which was banned by the NSDAP because it was monarchist... the degenerate bastards (pardon me, but it's the truth) even dare to display the Nordic Cross design flag in the German colours planned to be the national flag had the July 20th coup succeeded... but I should stop this, this will only end in me suggesting to deal with the whole brown lot the way the police in Bavaria did in '23, only more so... ;)
Errr...sorry, that was totally off-topic... it's just a bit unnerving...
who will endeavour to keep this outbursts to himself in the future... :oops:
This is the Raoul we all love to hear from, don't stop, its super background into many different and fascinating subjects.

Perhaps Vallejo 822 black brown chipping on all the "empty" spots will help disguise the oddity of plastic repelling paint?

The oil weathering looks good, grey is such a hard colour to work with, and still on my to do list :roll:

Very nice work :D

Regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

Most Excellent work!
Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War
TreadHead is NOT an ugly word

Completed Campaigns:

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Thanks Vincent, Steve and Mark! :D

First come first answered ;) :

Tristar kits where awesome Vincent ;) . They are insanely detailed with only very little use of etch.
The whole "downright vanishing acrylics" things comes from a combination of the hardcore turpentine-ersatz and the specifics of the plastic... which has never been an issue before when I used artist's turpentine-ersatz. ;)
Try one of their Is, IVs or a 38(t)s - they are awesome kits and HoBo does them currently and probably will use a different plastic... I mean I built 3 for the 38(t) Barbarossa diorama and none offered any problems.
Really, they made the very best early IVs available.

All right Steve, I'll continue the random rants, I just thought that this one might be to current for my "rant-style" which usually is concerned with semiotics or history, mostly both, rarely politics ;).
Oil weathering if okay for me, but it really requires the use of a ton of ever so slightly different greys to look good. Different shades of brown and a drop of black and very minor application of white (ends up grey anyway, bu that's the point ;) ) are your friends. But most important is the pre-shading that allows the oils to work creating different shades of browns on different bases in one sweep.

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Coming along nicely Raoul. Got to agree about TriStar, have a couple in the stash I bought in an estate sale a while back. For old kits the level of detail and the fit is the envy on some modern manufacturers. They also didn't over complicate a build alaBronco (I'm wrestling with a Bronco kit at present).

Are you using the kit tracks or AM offerings?

Adam
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage