Trumpeter BRDM-2 NBC

Participants in the 2015 4/6/8 WHEELED VEHICLES Group Build post here.
Rob Matthews

Re: Trumpeter BRDM-2 NBC

Post by Rob Matthews »

Well- a couple of days late but since it's my third build - I'm not going to self immolate ;)

Finishing and weathering is standard.

Chipping - very restrained using a light khaki green, German Black brown and very small amounts of Steel pigment

Filters - using the green set from Mig's Sin industries for green vehicles

Pin wash - using Mig Ammo for Dark Green

Oil Dot rendering - as per Rinaldi - essentially "painting" the entire model with very small amounts of oil paints and "diffusing" them in with white spirit

Pigments - especially to the wheels (using a water slurry). I "scrub" the wheels with a toothbrush to remove the pigment to my satisfaction.

I no longer "Matte" the model - the oils give it a variable matt and satin sheen which I like. I sprayed the hull bottom with Dilute Tamiya Earth and then add Mig Amo Earth and Kursk soil washes

The aim was to get a Worn but not too knackered vehicle. I have an inkling that NBC vehicles were kept pretty clean as per their role. Gentle weathering is hard to get right

The SKP Models light set worked really well. These are really worth while IMHO

They have the potential to make a model toy-like but never seem to.....

The figure began as Miniart with a spare left arm built up with Green stuff, the head is from a Sabinga Martin figure and is nowhere near as good as Hornet. I didn't have any modern Soviet Hornet tank heads

Figure painting was with Lifecolor.

The marker poles were airbrushed with Oil Ochre and the "flags" were painted an orangey yellow and then washed with Mig Neutral Wash. If you are ever stuck - and can't think what to do - reach for your Neutral Wash. It's really versatile :geek:

Finally a base used previously with an Sd.Kfz.251 was "recycled".

Full Gallery pics winging their way to Gazza ;)
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Greg Beckman
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Greg Beckman »

Looks great. Those red tail lights really set it off.
Gregovich (Greg)

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Well the Gallery pics are off to Gary so as is customary, here's the Close down thread

Summary

Trumpeter BRDM NBC Early: Well if they had included rear deck hatch hinges to finish the model I'd have been a very happy lad. Annoyingly they didn't. They have released multiple versions of the BRDM and I presume in attempting to "sweat" the use of common sprues - quality control failed when it came to this version. It's annoying that you cant build the version from the parts in the box. Aside from this small matter the model went together well and is really quite fine. I wrote to Trumpeter without great expectation of a reply and to date I haven't been disapointed. The tyres are vinyl in keeping with their standard practice but they are very acceptable IMHO. Recommended but with reservation :|

ET Models PE BRDM set: Includes the hinges! And makes it easier to complete this version. I used the etched gun barrel but in truth not much else from the set

DEF Models Resin wheel set: In truth - not the easiest things to come by. Chris Meddings sent me the version for the Dragon BRDM and regrettably they are tricky to adapt. Save yourself some heartache and get the Trumpeter specific set. They do add a level of detail well in excess of the vinyl kit supplied offerings. Highly recommended 8-)

SKP Models Lenses and tailights set: Provide an awful lot for comparatively few Shekels - Highly recommended 8-) 8-)

Base - Great North Roads: They keep quite a low profile but their plaster bases are great value for money - can't go wrong.

Mig Ammo paints: I Love them. Easy to spray and easy to choose for specific Soviet vehicles. This was done with XB518 Mig 083. Did I say I Love them :?: 8-) 8-) :lol:

Weathering - as detailed above

Featured Album for this build: Tricky - False Idols

Thanks for looking :)

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

I'm glad the engine deck problem didn't lead to the untimely demise of your build. Fantastic little (?) vehicle Rob! Definitely something we don't see every day.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Vincent Power »

Another cracker Rob. :)

Cheers,
Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Another great finish Rob. I really like the close down threads you do.

You mentioned how you used the oil paints. I did the same thing to mine like you described but I used the dust and earth effects from AK. Lightly applied them to areas I wanted to show dust and dirt then blended them in with mineral spirits. It worked great.

Again really top shelf stuff.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Cracking finish Rob, just the kind of look I was going for on mine as well :D Looking forward to seeing the full set of pictures.

Chris
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage