Trumpeter BTR-80 APC

Participants in the 2015 4/6/8 WHEELED VEHICLES Group Build post here.
Shawn Ramsey
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Trumpeter BTR-80 APC

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

The paint is looking great Rob. Keep it coming.

Shawnnt
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Roy Charnock wrote:i like the camo ..you done well there rob.always a challenge freehand and the more bits sticking out and facets the harder it is.... :D
this is a tip and not a criticism..hope you dont mind ;)
when i do free hand i paint as you have and then when im were you are now i go back in with the main colour which is green on this model and tighten up the over spray on the camo colours pointing the air brush into the green and pretty close up at a low pressure to tighten up the colours and make the edges more pronounced and the green uniformal..
tghis way you can keep the soft edge and loose all the overspray from the rest of the colours ..just takes a bit of patience and time,,,

Hi Roy - Thanks. Seeing your paint job rather deflated me. Superb work 8-) . I did think of Blue tack masking which in hindsight would have given tidier borders. I'll go back and redefine at low pressure.

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Greg Beckman
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Greg Beckman »

Rob, don't be too hard on yourself. It's a struggle for a lot of us....especially me. I have a Meng Terminator coming up that will be in the same camo and it is delaying me from starting the kit.
Gregovich (Greg)

Roy Charnock

Post by Roy Charnock »

Greg Beckman wrote:Rob, don't be too hard on yourself. It's a struggle for a lot of us....especially me. I have a Meng Terminator coming up that will be in the same camo and it is delaying me from starting the kit.
Hi Roy - Thanks. Seeing your paint job rather deflated me. Superb work 8-) . I did think of Blue tack masking which in hindsight would have given tidier borders. I'll go back and redefine at low pressure.

Rob

i feel a bit guilty rob :oops: :oops:
i didnt post my last post to knock your painting back...
i thought it was a good tip from experience at the time of posting for next time you painted a freehand camo.
i apologise if ive hacked you off in any way but it wasnt meant to...

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Cracking job Rob :D

Chris
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Roy Charnock wrote:
Greg Beckman wrote:Rob, don't be too hard on yourself. It's a struggle for a lot of us....especially me. I have a Meng Terminator coming up that will be in the same camo and it is delaying me from starting the kit.

Rob

i feel a bit guilty rob :oops: :oops:
i didnt post my last post to knock your painting back...
i thought it was a good tip from experience at the time of posting for next time you painted a freehand camo.
i apologise if ive hacked you off in any way but it wasnt meant to...
Roy - Absolutely NO need to apologise - I didn't put it very well . That's the problem with cold print :? "Deflated" because your paint job is so bloody good and I've got such way to get there. You've met me Friend and you know there'd have been a smile and a wink :D ;) It IS a good tip and I've gone back and been trying to do it. It makes me realise how good your camo is (like I didn't already know that :P )
Absolutely NOT hacked off in any way and really appreciate the feedback - Lord forbid that anyone would feel shy about offering constructive advice. I always want to improve and value ALL the advice I can get.

I've dropped the pressure and thinned the paint and it's still proving difficult to get such fine demaration as you have. i think I remember you saying that you use enamels Roy?? I've got a sneaking suspicion that they spray finer than acrylics in this situation (or it could be a workman blaming tools :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Thanks Gre and Chris - Greg - looking forward to the T-90 (With the Dozer :?: )

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:

Roy Charnock

Post by Roy Charnock »

thank god for that

dose that mean i can come round for my tea and drink your beer ?? :D

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Absolutely Roy!! :D :D

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

I attempted to reduce the "overspray" but in truth had real difficulty getting the edges as smooth as Roy's. Thinning the Ammo and spraying down to 10psi was not easy and made little real difference. I suspect that enamels are more forgiving. Next time FWIW I'd use Sillly Putty rolls to "mask"

Anyway - I got some improvement and the filter begins the work of weathering.

The goal is to get a well used and weathered vehicle that's been on the road for some time, without any real chipping or extreme wear. Looking through all the photos that I can find for BTR-80s - they all seem to be kept in good nick

The filter immediately reduces the contrast.

Klear spray then decals

Some artistic licence being used with the placement of the KFOR decal on the rear. No photos exist in reality and it wouldn't fit on the "shield" where the Star placement sheet suggested. The Russian flag seemed reasonable as well given the operating environenmet

And thence to oils, SODA, Fading or "Oil Paint Rendering" as Mike Rinaldi prefers. I now "paint" the whole of the model with oils as per Rinaldi, it's a lot more controleld and predictable than using pigments. I tend to use very little white spirit and work or "scrub" the very small amounts of oils in and I think the secret of ANY oils use is to apply very small dots of oil. I aiim to get streaking verticaly using both dark and light or white coloured oils.

The pics don't really do the end affect justice. However I'm happy with the matt "smokey" (sfumato) appearance.

And once that's dried over 24 hrs onto the lower hull pigments which is pretty much the only place I use them now, first spraying on the Mig or AK earth effects and initially laying pigments onto the wet affects then adding "sprinkled pigments onto Pigment fixer and finally adding wet affects and steaks of dark mud

I think the trick with pigments is to go for variety of tones

As they dry and I often speed the process up using an unloaded airbrush I finish by "flicking" fresh mud either using brush and cocktail-stick or loading the brush and spraying the airbrush at it to get the "splatter" effect

Thanks for looking

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Really nice weathering Rob, particularly like the mud, something I just tackled on the Stalwart.

Chris
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage