4 wheels, 2 hp driven wagon

Participants in the 2015 4/6/8 WHEELED VEHICLES Group Build post here.
John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Re: 4 wheels, 2 hp driven wagon

Post by John Everett »

Steve Hutchinson wrote: only 12 more to do :lol: :lol:

Steve H
And the 13th one will be perfect!

I think you'll be surprised how much of human painting will transfer to equestrian painting. But I do think horses have a good argument for using at least some oils for creating the sheen common with animal fur.
"You used up all the glue...............ON PURPOSE!" - Darren McGavin

Completed Campaigns:

Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

As ever john, you are right :D ;)

The Max Longhurst DVD I have is really good and I have wanted to paint a horse since watching the DVD.

I have never really had the chance as I haven't thought about where I could fit a horse in, but the GB has been just the catalyst for horses and figures too 8-)

Max uses raw oil paint as a base and top coat and his finish is quite spectacular and award winning, so I will be having a go at it soon.

Thanks for popping in

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Matt Parvis
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Matt Parvis »

Steve, I've got a piece of styrene at home that I primed then painted in three sections of different base coats for wood. I then put a number of different mixes of oils over each of the three base colors to represent wood grain and finally finished with some overcoats of clear orange and clear yellow. If you are interested, I'll try and get a picture of the result for you when I get home today so you can see some possible options for painting the wagon.

Matt

Dario Risso
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Dario Risso »

The Walking Dead looks great, Steve! :D
Can I suggest you tu cut the necks to his final lenght before continue the painting? I think later will be a trickier task, considering you have to take the painted heads with your fingers

Darío

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Wow Steve - Really NICE work on the heads - Excellent as is the wagon and concept.

That reminds me that I'v got some painted horses - waiting for some Splittermuster figures to be done.
What John says is right - but if you use Acrylics - one "cheat " is to use your finger pads to rub the horse areas - your natural finger grease will "shine" up the rubbed areas :geek:

Keep it coming 8-)

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Your heads look great Steve! :D
I'm still too afraid of changing my "head style", now that is has worked.. moderately..well :lol: .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Thanks guys

Yes please Matt,

Good idea Dario, I can drill a small hole and use a cocktail stick to hold the head for the remaining paint ;)

Stick with it Raoul, when you find what works for you, and your heads are good,
then don't wander too far, but write it down, as I will be doing, when I have a formula I like ;)

Thanks Rob, I will try the Max Longhurst oil technique first, but never say never and there maybe another horse in the future ;)

Thanks for popping in chaps

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Post by John Everett »

Rob Matthews wrote:Wow Steve - Really NICE work on the heads - Excellent as is the wagon and concept.

That reminds me that I'v got some painted horses - waiting for some Splittermuster figures to be done.
What John says is right - but if you use Acrylics - one "cheat " is to use your finger pads to rub the horse areas - your natural finger grease will "shine" up the rubbed areas :geek:

Keep it coming 8-)

Rob
True, that. I use this trick with helmets painted in flat acrylics. It gives them a slight sheen. No need to eat a pizza before trying it. Just don't wash your hands for a few hours.
"You used up all the glue...............ON PURPOSE!" - Darren McGavin

Completed Campaigns:

Matt Parvis
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Matt Parvis »

Here you go Steve:

It should be pretty self explanatory. The colours are Vallejo and Windsor and Newton. The only thing that may not be entirely clear is the org. and yel. marks on the left hand side. They equate to Vallejo Transparent Orange and Transparent Yellow. It is a little difficult to see them, but, I applied them in horizontal bands across the top and bottom of each block with a space left in the middle to show how the base colours look without the transparent colours added. The transparent orange and yellow are something I picked up from WWI aircraft forums that I have found can add a really nice warm tone to woodwork.

Matt

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Steve- on a similar theme - here's a helpful paint guide using Vallejo Colours for painting horses

http://franznap.jigsy.com/painting-horses

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage