Sd.Kfz. 251/21 Drilling

Participants in the 2015 HALFTRACK Group Build post here.
Shawn Ramsey
Senior Site Contributor.....

Sd.Kfz. 251/21 Drilling

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Since it appears that Raoul is all by himself in this topic I guess I can throw something into the mix.

Truth be know I started this a couple of weeks ago but after a few hours fighting with the PE I got frustrated and stopped. :oops: :(

I have got to change my mentality when it comes to PE. I truly admire the guys who love it. For me I love it too until it is time to start working with it then it frustrates the hell out of me. So from now I am going to try something a little different. Since It appears I do have a weakness regarding PE, I will likely continue to buy it. Saying that though, I will use only the pieces that will truly make a difference. Lets see how this works for me. :twisted:

Of course I will be putting this on some sort of a base with figures. As always I will figure those things out in the future. But for now the focus will be the Drilling so it is completed by the deadline. Everything else can come later. :D

The kit which is pack full. I wish Dragon would continue to release stuff like this. Two sets of tracks and 8 figures are in the box.

The gold PE came with the kit. :D

Silver PE is Eduard :o :o There is a Eduard replacement part for the dash but being this is the better Shawn I did not think there would be a big advantage using it. Decals came with the kit for the dials but I may not even use those and just hand paint them.

That's it for now.

Does any remember what the problem is with the road wheels and front tires. I remember Vinnie saying something that the rear road wheels have to be glued on just right or the front wheels won't sit right.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Sd.Kfz. 251/21 Drilling

Post by Philipp Gross »

I'm glad we finally have something resembling a group in the halftrack group build :lol:

This is going to be extremely interesting I'm sure. :)

Concerning Dragon, right now it looks like they are cutting costs by removing every single bonus item while raising prices to absurd levels. I'm not entirely sure how this is supposed to give them an advantage over their competitors...

Regrettably I don't remember anything about the wheel alignment. It's probably best to start at the front and work your way to the back.

Philipp
(who really really really will start his 251 as soon as the Greyhound is done)
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Nice choice Shawn! :mrgreen:
Let's see it the 251D will best the 251C which should not be that hard, especially in the comfort category ;) .

Does it also feature the Luftwaffen uniform items and flight boots in DS? ;)

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Good to see another Halftrack build Shawn. Great choice of subject and nice start. :) I can't help with any wheel alignment issue either I'm afraid.

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Raoul Kunz wrote:Nice choice Shawn! :mrgreen:

Let's see it the 251D will best the 251C which should not be that hard, especially in the comfort category ;) .

You know me better than this. I don't have a clue what the difference is between the two. I just follow the instructions. :oops: It will be painted in late war colors, but truth be know I don't know the difference between late and early other than were the instructions tells me late or early

Does it also feature the Luftwaffen uniform items and flight boots in DS? ;) Yes it does

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Oh don't worry about late and early, the D was only around from spring '43 until the end and stayed pretty much the same until the OT-810 got an air-cooled diesel and a roof after the war ;) , so no worries here.. if anyone wants to claim he found a pic of a grey D he's a liar or an idiot :lol: .

My hopes went more in the direction of the fit of the parts and whether or not the instructions are sabotaging the builder or not by leaving out steps altogether ;) . It should be a bit better since the whole point of the D was the reduction of annoyingly angled plates from 19 to just 9, let's hope it works out the same way in the kit :lol: .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

I have finally made some progress on this. Not much but every little bit help. Life and other things have been getting in the way of progress.

My new out look on PE seams to be working so far. What progress I have made has been enjoyable and that is what it is all about. :D

There were PE brakets for all the ammo cans but as you can see I stuck with the plastic ones. I know attempting those PE ones would have been a PITA. So my 10 step program is working so far for my PE addiction. :lol:

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Very nice work Shawn! Definitely a good inspiration to keep going with mine :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Great to see you back at the bench Shawn. The internal PE in these halftracks is almost always hidden.

From my recollection of building, the top deck does not always sit flush with the lower hull. I cant recall any obvious problems with the wheels

Hey Raoul - I DO have a picture of a D in Grey :!: :!: :!: ...........................................Oh No Damn - wait - I AM an idiot :lol:

It's about time Dragon re-released this Halftrack series

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Nice progress Shawn. I have this kit in my stash along with an AFV Club 251 plus piles on PE to throw at them. One day....

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....