SdKfz. 251/7 Ausf. C two times at the crossroads

Participants in the 2015 HALFTRACK Group Build post here.
Raoul Kunz
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: SdKfz. 251/7 Ausf. C two times at the crossroads

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Evil stares aside, I once again made some progress and noticed a couple of nice features of the AFVClub kit in contrast to the dragon item.
That's the current state of the kit=>

First noticed detail: The headrests have very nice structural details suggesting worn leather instead of the dragon items' completely smooth surfaces=>

And the more important set of details: The bl***y Sturmstege have actual wood grain! This kind of serves to eliminate the possibility of a screw up like the one that happened to me with the Dragon kit... :D

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

That detail is nice on the headrests.

Your making fast work off this one.

I really need to get started on a GB myself. I just want to know what happened to all the guys that said they wanted to build a 251. :? I'm included in that. :oops:

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Thanks Shawn!
Just to proof that I do indeed fast work with this build I went ahead and built most of the interior :lol: .
As usual the various items have not been decided upon with finality ;) .
I varied the rifles stored in the racks a little because a) it's late in the war and b)they are in a blind spot anyway. It's 6 98K, one G-43 and one G-41... I thought about hanging a couple of Stgw 44 there but most of the characters outside of the vehicle will probably have those anyway and I wouldn't want to suggest an overly high proliferation of the weapon. It's not a favoured formation like the inept Waffen SS anyway...

Ps.: I know that I left the replacement sighting blocks dark yellow instead of simulating slightly greenish armoured glass because I think they will be invisible anyway, and if not I still can still paint them...

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
Last edited by Raoul Kunz on 21 Apr 2015, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

Completed Campaigns:

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Nice to see an AFV 251 built Raoul. We'll definitely need a final comparison at the Blog end - which is your favourite etc?

I know what you mean about the half-track blog - I'm feeling a tadge guilty myself :oops:

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Thanks Rob!
Don't feel guilty, it's early times and I had been eyeing my 251s already for a while and made some plans with Steve Hutchinson to go ahead with an eventual 251 blog and as a consequence I had everything ready to go when the GB came around :lol: .
I will certainly make some comparison of the kits eventually - when both of the 251/7 Cs are done.

I also went ahead and started...well...littering the interior, especially with maps since everyone present in the diorama will be fairly lost :lol: .
I also found a beautiful cup in the Master Box set of Russian automatic weapons and "filled" it with the eternal dark brown liquid of importance :lol: .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
Last edited by Raoul Kunz on 23 Apr 2015, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.

Completed Campaigns:

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Seriously good looking interior Raoul :D

I still have my 251's and it will be good to see how they vary one from the other, Dragon, AFV, Tamiya :roll:

Looking at your work, we all, perhaps "dodged the bullet", your builds are excellent, worth saying twice 8-)

I guess I "caught the Stug bug" :lol:

6 x RB L/24 75mm stub barrels, perhaps gives you an idea of what may be ahead :roll:

But figures and head painting have been haunting me, my GB sort of went that way, :roll: :lol:

Shawn's SBS has been the catalyst to getting back on the painting "horse" again :lol:

I took my finished Polish officer, hornet head to work yesterday, and my mentor and mate said " Thats better than mine!"

So, I really feel it has been worth the effort and time to put a system together, as I am not artistic modeller, but can follow instructions reasonably competently :roll: :lol:

I'll post the final photos, its the photography that isn't that good :roll:

a cracking brace of 251's Raoul :D

Regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Hmmm.... L/24 75mm barrels.... hmmm :?: early StuGs! :lol:

Thanks for the praises Steve :D !
In both cases the kits seems to be frankensteinian contraptions from source kits of differing age and composition which probably explains why they don't really gel in parts. :roll:
Dragon is probably the worse offender of the two because it's fairly obvious that there is at least a generation, probably two, between the 251/7 C parts and the 251 C base kit (which btw. can be obtained with figures in an Orange Box currently).
The AFV Club kit in contrast suffers less from an ill fit (at least not as much as the Dragon one) and more from a case of diverging levels of detail sometimes in parts that actually make up one sub-assembly.

Both are challenging in nice but sometimes rage inducing ways though if I wouldn't build them with a clear orientation and a concept of what will be especially visible and what not I would probably be more infuriated by the occasional (read: frequent) ill fitting part. :lol:

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns:

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Its about time to close that up Raoul. The interior is first class.

No mojo on the home front for me. I don't know what to do. :roll:

I hope to get it back by August. We put my son in day care last year from August - December. I was able to get some work done but we pulled him out in December due to financial reasons. But this year he starts Kindergarten 0800-1430 everyday. Some long over due uninterrupted modeling time for me. :D Oh yay my wife will be in school all day everyday as well. ;)

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Nice indeed Raoul. Looking forward to eth next stage :D

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Thanks Shawn and Gary :D !

And since your wishes are my commands I bravely went ahead and closed the vehicle up, touched up the base coat of dark yellow and "stuffed" it up with some leftover ...errr... I use toilet paper for cleaning up my brushes... :oops:
=>

Some green "worms" to fit in with the other 251/7C and some modulation (or shading, still don't know :lol: )
=>

And here with the (8 ton) Sturmbrücken test fitted, I thought I'd mention that because the Dragon 251/7 C has 12 ton Sturmbrücken.
=>

I also did some more MG-34s, in this case they are both AFVClub items, very nice MGs ootb by the way, the lower one with a Voyager barrel, the upper one with a RB barrel. Both look great, the Voyager one is superior in detail, though both best the ootb detail which was fairly nice already to begin with...I think mentioning this was redundant :lol: .
=>

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns: