SdKfz. 251/7 Ausf. C two times at the crossroads

Participants in the 2015 HALFTRACK Group Build post here.
Raoul Kunz
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: SdKfz. 251/7 Ausf. C two times at the crossroads

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Thanks everyone! :D

Now that the half tracks are essentially done (build wise that is) I think it's time for an assessment.
I will split it up in short topical sub-sections and write a few lines on each one.

First impression
Dragon: It's a very, very full box. The kit has individual tracks as well as a set of figures (see "Extras"). First impression condensed down unto a single phrase would have to be "good value for money".
AFVC: Not even remotely as full a box. The kit comes only with vinyl tracks and different assault bridges than the Dragon kit though the part themself look finer for the most part than the DML ones. Single phrase summary would be "quality instead of quantity".

Lower hull
Dragon: Problematic fit, especially the frontal parts, first case of horrible instructions that utterly fail to make things clear.
AFVC: Surprisingly the fit of the lower hull, while not quite as a annoyingly problematic as the DML one, is still somewhat sub-optimum. Though at least the frontal segments fit together with a bit less of a hassle.

Suspension
Dragon: Given the experiences with the lower hull it's a positive surprise that the suspension arms and road wheels feature sharp detail and very good fit. The frontal wheel suspension unit can be even be built steerable. Hooray!
AFVC: Nothing horrible but not nearly as good as the fit on the DML version. The road wheels are lacking a bit in the detail department, nothing that would concern me, given the muddy perspective, but worth mentioning never the less.

Tracks
Dragon: No EZ tracks, but the individual ones are nice and can be built movable without much effort. Nice.
AFVC: For extremely well detailed tracks for a vinyl item and really not much of a hindrance with proper glueing. I also bought the AFVC individual tracks which are...annoying... I intended to use them but building them is so fiddly and the fit is so questionable that I used the section I manages to build on the front of the vehicle as something to provide a fixture for the tarp and that's it. Might still be useful if you are less suspect to frustration and rage quits than me :lol: .

Interior
Dragon: You have a couple of options on how to set up the interior if the 251/7 C, especially if you are building a version with Pak-36. The problem is that the instructions neither correctly point them out nor actually tell you to use the proper parts as they evidently have been adapted from the "vanilla" instruction for the 251/1 C by a part timer in his lunch break... I think you all know how horrible Dragon instruction can be once you go beyond the first version of a vehicle...
AFVC: here the kit shines with a clearly set up interior, un-ambivalently (does this word exist :? :?: ) designated items and some pioneer specific stowage.

Upper hull
Dragon: Eaaeergs! :? ... Okay, more concisely: the upper hull segments don't really fit and cause cleavages without filing and filling and orienting and whatnot. Easily the most annoying part of the build, not exactly made easier by the instructions which fail to explain how to achieve some of the angles.
AFVC: Another chance for the kit to shine. Especially the fact that more of the angled segments come in one part instead of having to manoeuvre slowly drying individual plates in hopes of achieving the correct angles.

Assault bridges

Dragon: Nicely moulded smaller pattern assault bridges, a little bit problematic in that at not point do the instructions mention that they are steel girders with a wooden top layer because the have no grain whatsoever.
AFVC: Excellent earlier pattern wide assault bridges with beautiful wood grain in top. However the mountings..err..mounting is a case of irritating role reversal: the Dragon items have pre moulded lines to designate and orient the items in the correct position, the AFVC items in contrast do have a marker where to mount them but nothing to orient them on.

Instructions
Dragon: Image Image
AFVC: The opposite.

Extras
Dragon: Here Dragon manages to take the cake. The kit comes with a set of SS Sturmpioniere (might be less of a bonus when you have problems with SS formations...) and a huge selection of pioneer equipment, several kinds of landmines, grenades, small arms, cables and whatnot. And this is leaving aside the fact that the kit can be built as a 251/1, 251/7, 251/10 or the 251/7/10 hybrid of the Ausf. C.
AFVC: Not much in this regard though the kit comes with some sprues of beautifully modelled 98Ks and a couple of equally high quality MG-34s.

So it's essentially a tie and largely depends on what you want to find in your box: a generally well engineered kit without extras and sound instruction or a a somewhat problematic kit with horrible instructions but at least three smaller sets worth of extras.

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Tracks²:
I had the dragon tracks memorized as positively horribly fiddly exercises but evidently I was a fool back then: It' super relaxed, strongly contrasting the AFVClub track in recent memory... :lol:
Of course it's annoyance in it's purest form to clean them all up... that's why I left the final touches off for now, I didn't have the patience :oops: .
(Still some clean up to do ;) )

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

You must be a patient man Raoul, two full sets of tiny tracks would test anybody. Well done. :D

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Thanks Vincent! :D
Even though I'm usually a decidedly not particularly patient person, those tracks are really relaxed once cleaned up. ;)
Though (not unexpectedly) Dragon is quite cavalier about the tracks. We have to figure out how to put them together (though it's kind of obvious) as well as how many are necessary (it's 56 on the right and 55, better 54, on the left)... as mentioned before it's really great instructions... :roll:

Aaaaanyway: I think I'm pretty much done with the two 251s. I'll need to do a couple of touch ups, tone down the spare tracks exempli gratia, but generally speaking it's done and now on to the base! :D
=>

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
Last edited by Raoul Kunz on 11 Jun 2015, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Looking good Raoul 8-)

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

So, NOW I think I'm done with the two 251/7 at long last.

I changed to track section on the front from a later pattern track without holes to a mid pattern track with holes because that's the one I used ;) .

I also finally managed to source another Flakvisier and finally fix the other MG =>

NOW IT'S ON TO THE BASE DAMNIT! :lol:

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

I like the mud on the front Raoul. Very realistic. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Really great work Raoul.

What do you mean at long last. You have completely build both of these in a few months. :D Unlike me. :roll:

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Great work Raoul - as Vincent says - the mud at the front is really convincing and the tie down straps are excellent.

Really helpful comparison piece. The Dragon tracks IMO are very good. I've yet to build an AFV 251. It really is time that Dragon updated theirs. Though I fear that they have lost momentum.

There's still a couple in my stash :)

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Thanks guys! :mrgreen:

Over the last couple of days I've been experimenting with the setting and the distribution of figures.
Also: I build a new MG gunner, because I was unhelpfully missing one and the MG was the core of every German platoon. He's not finished yet and he'll be in something of a blind angle and therefore is more or less a filler for the figures that should be there.
I sorted the figures in threes because I thought it helps with the grouping: from left to right: the paranoid faction, the "getting set up" faction, the officers and finally the CO setting himself apart, probably acting as if he's doing something useful like studying the road signs for the ump-teenth time and still not gaining the necessary insight :lol: .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns: