When was panzergrau was phased out?

Non-armour projects and modelling questions go here.
Ian Shumsky

When was panzergrau was phased out?

Post by Ian Shumsky »

I suspect that this has been answered quite often... but can someone please let me know when panzergrau was phased out? The reason I'm asking is I'm wondering if panzergrau would be suitable for a 1943 Production Sd.Kfz.7, specifically Dragon's 6794 kit..
My sedentary pursuits http://www.outerarm.co.uk

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Re: When was panzergrau was phased out?

Post by Vlad Seabrook-Smith »

The order to go over to dark yellow was passed in April 43, Hitler seemed to have a thing for making changes in April :lol: could have something to do with his birthday! As with all of these situations, there is always going to be a transition period.

I have a similar issue with Napoleonic uniforms, the French made significant changes in 1812 for the Russian campaign........ allegedly, turns out many units liked their original uniforms :lol: and then you have to factor in supply, manufacturing etc etc etc.

Panzer grey would most likely have been seen for quite some time,I know its not the be all and end all answer, but most likely in my eyes, but I stand to be corrected if my info is incorrect.
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

If I'm not mistaken the change was made in February 43. Before that came a handful of vehicles in tropical colours that ended up in southern Russia in 1942, which can easily be mistaken for being dark yellow.

Of course grey vehicles were still around for a while (often with improvised camo on top) and sometimes yellow was camouflaged with spots or stripes of grey. Of course it's hard to tell from black and white photos.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ian Shumsky

Post by Ian Shumsky »

Many thanks. I'm actually looking for Dragon's Sd.Kfz.7 Initial Production (6466) but can't seem to find it anywhere and was wondering if I could get away with the 1943 release... Unfortunately I think not, so I'll keep looking :)
My sedentary pursuits http://www.outerarm.co.uk