Blast from the past....

Non-armour projects and modelling questions go here.
Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Blast from the past....

Post by Gary Boxall »

Sorting things out today in preparation for our move, discovered an old photo I'd completely forgotten about. At best guess, I would have been in my teens probably when I made this and without doubt, it would have been a Tamiya offering. Gotta love the red fire extinguisher :lol:

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Re: Blast from the past....

Post by John Everett »

Not bad, really. Might need a dust off. Is the model completed? If not, it might be considered the ultimate shelf queen in need of completion.
"You used up all the glue...............ON PURPOSE!" - Darren McGavin

Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Don't make me bring out my ancient attempts at model building :lol:

That being said...how about we all post some of our old stuff? I'll happily join once I'm back home :mrgreen:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

John Everett wrote:Not bad, really. Might need a dust off. Is the model completed? If not, it might be considered the ultimate shelf queen in need of completion.
Sadly, only the photo exists now....

Philipp Gross wrote:Don't make me bring out my ancient attempts at model building :lol:

That being said...how about we all post some of our old stuff? I'll happily join once I'm back home :mrgreen:

Philipp
Cracking idea :D

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Nice thread :D

I still use my old kits for air brush practice, so they are very bashed but multicoloured, I did save 2 finished ones, but they are "old" :lol:

I will photo them when my camera batteries are charged, and someone else has committed to the embarrassment of teenage work, only 45 years ago with Italeri and a paintbrush with the Airfix magazine and the first year of the Military modeling magazine from 1972, for guidance and inspiration 8-)

I still have my first copy somewhere :roll:

More to come ;)

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

All right... when we are presenting embarrassments here anyway... let's bring it on...

This is a Tamiya IV D, the one that comes with the late model (~late 1943) 40cm tracks, I think it's a kit from 70something. For that age actually fairly good details, I'm thinking of building one ootb, just to see how much I can achieve just with skill and no AM on an kit that old :lol: .
Aaaaanyway - here we go... it's brush painted... not that it would make much of a difference. I suppose it's better than "early pattern Raoul" AB with the Revell starter single action gravity feed AB, powered by a bottle of compressed air...somehow this sounds positively archaic today :lol: :lol: .

Awww hell, what's the point hiding it...here's a Tiger B painted in what Revell suggests for RAL 7028 Dunkelgelb ("sponge cake dough colour") "sprinkled" with un-thinned Revell acrylic Brick Red, claiming to be the appropriate representation of RAL 8017 Rotbraun ("jelly filling") applied with a Revell pattern single action gravity feed AB with some "mud" exceedingly unconvincingly modelled by a layer of brown coloured structured acrylic paste ("brittle" to keep with the gastronomic references ;) ). All in all a veritable piece of cake...haha...very funny I know... :oops: ;) .

Let this be a warning example to younger modellers never to listen to Revell suggested colour patterns... ever! :lol:

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz who regrets nothing!
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Not at all bad - You can see the early promise was there for Gary ;) That level of face painting still adorns many figure models :)

Same for Raoul. With a bit of weathering that Tiger camo would come out nice.

Considerably later in my modelling career and marking my complete move from Wingey things this was the first completed model I submitted to Vinnie on Military Modelling
I can remember being incredibly nervous :?

Looking at it - I'm not certain I've improved that much :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good call Gary :D

Lets see some more Team

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

I'm back from that absolutely terrible vacation and have finally trawled the uncharted dephts of my archive for suitably horrible model photos :o :shock: :? :twisted:

Please note the correlation between photo quality and model quality :lol:

Zvezda IS-2 and Italeri M47....yes, that's the same M47 I completely rebuilt a while ago.

Trumpeter KV-1...has since been stripped of paint and is being turned into something slightly better.

Academy Wirbelwind....a bad copy of the old Tamiya Wirbelwind.

Dragon (ex Gunze) Panther G - My oldest model which I don't consider completely ruined by youthful incompetence. Also the place where I first dabbled with aftermarket additions: Etched grills and side skirts!

Dragon's M4A3E8 - my first Sherman. Still full of mistakes, so I took it apart for rebuilding, which I will hopefully complete some day :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Finally found some interesting stuff from the early 70's and my teenage modelling :oops:
My first attempt at painting by an non brush method, as you might imagine not very good
It is now an antique :lol:
Some cutting edge paint catalogues of the time, we were well served in the armour department :lol:
Stunning :roll:
And another airbrush antique with an old paint product from Airfix
My wrecking yard test subjects :oops:
The only 2 surviving tanks from my teenage building, my only excuse it was early 1970's :lol:

Early Panzer's have always been a fascination 8-)

I think this little journey back in time might help get the "mojo" moving but the knife damage to my thumb is still holding me back somewhat

Hope you have had a stimulating peak into the past ;)

Anyone else ready to show their early work :?:

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Actually they don't look all that bad Steve! Certainly better than my output of roughly 2004/5-ish :lol: .
The I does have a distinct "Verlinden feel" to it what with all the ultra-obvious dry-brushing going on ;) .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage