Nashorn Tracks for the Tamiya Kit?

Non-armour projects and modelling questions go here.
Dave Johnson

Nashorn Tracks for the Tamiya Kit?

Post by Dave Johnson »

So I have gone out and brought the Tamiya Nashorn from the LHS yesterday after enjoying the Mk.IV Male...

But its got lovely Rubber band Tracks.. What are my options for AM Tracks?

Olivier Carneau
Senior Site Contributor.....
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Nashorn Tracks for the Tamiya Kit?

Post by Olivier Carneau »

First why are you unhappy with the kit tracks?

If you do want AM tracks, the choice is metal tracks or plastic ones. The metal ones (Friul, Spade Ace, Masterclub) allow a nice sagging effect and are truly workable. They give more weight to the models though.
Plastic ones may need some glue to stand in one piece even when the box states they're workable or clickable.

Concerning your precise model, have a look at Friul website to check if they have released a reference for it.
HTH
Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Dave Johnson

Post by Dave Johnson »

Hi Oilvier,

I'm not too convinced that the Rubber Bands Tracks will look correct once fitted.. Unless there is some trick to get the sagg effect with Rubber Band Tracks?

I had a look at the Fruil Website and I couldn't see any set that directly stated its for the Nashorn... But looking at Wikipedia, it states that the Nashorn was build up using Panzer III/IV components? So would the Panzer III/IV Tracks be used or did they use another set of tracks?

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Hi Dave,

the Nashorn used indeed Panzer III/IV tracks. Since it's a fairly late version, the correct type of track would be those with ice cleats (picture). "Mid" tracks with solid guide theeth and smooth surfaces would work as well for a more early vehicle (relatively common from mid-1943 to mid-1944).

AFV Club make a set of workable mid tracks. Academy offers late tracks as non-workable single links, by all means the cheapest version available. However I can't guarantee that all of them will fit on the kit sprockets.

Philip
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Dave Johnson

Post by Dave Johnson »

Thanks Philipp,

For the answer I need, I have found these at really good price including shipping. Hopefully they will fit!

Rod Dumouchel

Post by Rod Dumouchel »

Hi Dave,

Kaizen have become my first pick for aftermarket tracks, I really don't like the rubber band style track either. I prefer the plastic tracks over the metal tracks just find them easier to work with. Depending on the track set I think the metal tracks just don't hang right (most likely it's just me). The Kaizen tracks are less expensive than the Modelkasten (which most times are my first choice). The panzer three tracks are also easier to assemble than the MK tracks and look just as good in my opinion.

Regards,

Rod