Ammo MiG paints

Non-armour projects and modelling questions go here.
Mark Aldrich
Senior Site Contributor.....

Ammo MiG paints

Post by Mark Aldrich »

A week ago, I decided to delve (once again) into the acrylic playing field. After hitting my, not so local, hobby shop and leaving $98 cheaper I was set. I had the Ammo Mig Middle East Wars set, Life colours IDF set, Migs IDF Green and thinner and cleaner. I also ordered Ammo Mig IDF color set. Saturday I got the M48A2 prepped and started to paint. Using several light layers, it seemed like I was going through a lot of paint. It also appeared to be building up quickly and not covering the Green plastic well at all. After I was satisfied with the color, I set it about to dry. The only thing I can say I am happy with is that it did not clog my nozzle during the painting process. I have read that Migs paint needs to be applied over a primer coat. Had I known that (not mentioned on any of the bottle or packaging), I would have done that. My Citadel, Tamiya, and Lifecolour previous uses never needed it and the colors covered the plastic with lots less paint. Sunday I checked the job and was slightly upset that the paint maintained a semi-gloss finished as opposed to the flat I am used to. This will be fixed after decaling, washing and weathering. While l I am less than impressed, I will use the MEW set on my Warhammer LeMann Russ making sure I primer first and see what happens. Not Keen about using the Ammo paints on my Magach7c as there is a lot more detail that I do not want to ruin.
Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War
TreadHead is NOT an ugly word

Completed Campaigns:

Rob Matthews

Re: Ammo MiG paints

Post by Rob Matthews »

Hi Mark

Sorry to hear that's not gone as well as expected. I Do use primer and my favourite is the Mig Ammo variety. In truth I prime whether using Lifecolor, Vallejo or Mig Ammo. I only sprayed Tamiya for the first time and was shocked how flat it was. The Mig Ammo definitely dries to a satin finish, I think I recall Mig saying that you can decal and place washes on directly though I still use a coat of Klear to further "gloss" first. Some have said that you need to shake more than other paints. It coats much lighter than the Tamiya IMHO and is now my No 1 paint to spray. I LOVE the IDF Green and use it whenever I can - I think it's a great general purpose Khaki shade. I also use the Mig ammo straight from the bottle to brush paint without a problem. I do get tip-drying problems despite using Mig Thinners but no worse than with Vallejo.

I think some of the colour matches are however dubious in the Ammo range - most notably the WW2 Brit colours. I've not had a chance to use the "bogey" colour - post 1982 Sinai Grey yet.
Try and stick with them - they work for me.

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Mark Aldrich

Re: Ammo MiG paints

Post by Mark Aldrich »

Rob,
That primer thing is an issue with me. That is just another coat of paint. It is also acrylic so has no better chance of sticking to the plastic than the color I am spraying it. Add the Decal coat (future) and the finish coat and that is a lot of paint. The worst part (for me) is that all the Archer Resin details (except the turret shield) look like nothing more than blobs now. I know it may be my fault but so far...not super impressed. I love the different shade. I used the 067 and it is much Radome tannier than the Italeri IDF color. I might just try the no Gloss coat. Worst that could happen would be having to re-decal and paint. I mean it is acrylic and the wash is enamel so I think I will be applying decals this evening.
Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War
TreadHead is NOT an ugly word

Completed Campaigns: