Next Group Build suggestions

Discussions, proposals and topics for Group Builds in this section. Group builds will be sorted by topic so that they can be used as a reference in the future.
Please note that new Group Build Topics can only be started by Admin or a Moderator.
Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Next Group Build suggestions

Post by Gary Boxall »

Scott Fraser wrote:I'm out of any halftrack build. Halftracks just don't have enough traction.
Then you could go for the alternative Engineer vehicle suggested ;)

We're never going to please everyone as you know. Am open to suggestions of themes rather than something to simply' be inclusive as possible'. So put your idea forward as others have and see what the reaction is. You may well hit on something everyone else likes :D

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Dave Johnson

Post by Dave Johnson »

What about something very simple and broad like Light Tanks, Tank Destroyers etc....

Scott Fraser

Post by Scott Fraser »

Gary Boxall wrote:
Scott Fraser wrote:I'm out of any halftrack build. Halftracks just don't have enough traction.
Then you could go for the alternative Engineer vehicle suggested ;)

We're never going to please everyone as you know. Am open to suggestions of themes rather than something to simply' be inclusive as possible'. So put your idea forward as others have and see what the reaction is. You may well hit on something everyone else likes :D

Gary
Gary, I made six suggestions here: http://www.plasticarmour.com/phpBB3/vie ... t=10#p7969. Certainly, it is difficult if not impossible to please everyone, but any one of these leaves the door open to a wide variety of equipment in the service of different nations. Believe me, I realize that as someone who builds only Soviet armour, I exist on the fringes of mainstream modelling and that the limited scope of my modelling automatically leaves me out of initiatives like group builds and themed contests. I accept that, but when the opportunity arises to suggest "more inclusive topics", especially ones that would include me, I will take advantage of it.

Regards
Scott Fraser

Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

A lively discussion and welcome too :D

I have my building preferences and with even less time to enjoy my hobby and being a very slow to static builder, I don't build a great deal and finish even less :oops:

The last GB was an eye opener and I enjoyed building an M4, which is still hiding somewhere.

I would welcome the opportunity to try something outside of my preferred narrow stash and have a thought that might help.

We all build tanks, armour, tracked things from a ""war zone"" some when and where in the world,

We all work within a budget of sorts, some bigger than others, we all have skill levels some higher than others, but the one thing that we all seem to, except a few, really not do too well, is figures ;)

They are cheap enough, though some of the resin sets can be a bit pricey

They are representative of every period, and the GB choice could be any choice of ""thing"" you build, what you are happy & comfortable building with 2/3 figures as the main focus of the GB.

A thought for the pot

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Dennis McQuillen

Post by Dennis McQuillen »

I like Steve's idea of figures.

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

I could even do "figure". I do think I would pick something from my Warhammer/Warhammer 40K range though. Of course this would not take me the full 6 months to accomplish.
Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War
TreadHead is NOT an ugly word

Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Philipp Gross wrote:Four wheeled vehicles, softskin and armoured? :lol:

Philipp
I like Philipps suggestion. Lots of scope for any theatre or time frame. :) Just my 2 cents worth which at the moment is actually about 1.75 cents :(

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Hi Guys

If figures are perhaps an idea that might float, then it could be expanded to any scale, busts , and period style Sci Fi, Warhammer almost by weight as in 8 ounces of smaller figures to meet an entry requirement, and what ever the GB someone will always fly through it,

Think Greg and anything Russian, what will he do on week 3 when it is built, painted, on a base with 2/3/4 figures :roll: 8-) 8-)

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Post by John Everett »

Now that we're all set with certain standards for this G.B., here's the first suggestion for six months from now:

Out Of The Box-------1985!!!!

It occurred to me when putting together the final parts of the Tamiya Universal Carrier (1979).
"How about a group build from any kit originally released prior to about 1990?--------And do it COMPLETELY O.O.B.. No resin, no PE, no Archer decals, no add-ons of any kind would be allowed. Paint, glue and filling putty are the only things not included in the box.

To add variety however, I do think we should allow construction of scratch built parts from anything included in the kit. You can stretch a sprue, cut custom pieces from unused parts, casting numbers cut from the sprue tags, etc, even make things from the paper of the instruction sheet, but that's it!

We've all got at least a few of these Cold-War-Era kits in the stash. Lets build a few and revel in, not complain about, the glory of yesteryear! (At 88 MPH!!!!)

(Or we could also do engineering vehicles because that was a pretty cool idea, actually.)
Last edited by John Everett on 26 Mar 2015, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.
"You used up all the glue...............ON PURPOSE!" - Darren McGavin

Completed Campaigns:

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Old School OOTB - just like when we were young and didn't care about accuracy :lol: Great idea John 8-)

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....