Next Group Build suggestions

Discussions, proposals and topics for Group Builds in this section. Group builds will be sorted by topic so that they can be used as a reference in the future.
Please note that new Group Build Topics can only be started by Admin or a Moderator.
Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Next Group Build suggestions

Post by Gary Boxall »

How about...

Engineer vehicles
Half tracks

That should cover a broad spectrum of vehicles and time periods to keep the majority of people happy?

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Pretty happy with that Gary - it's a broad category.

I'm still drawn to something leftfield that takes most of us out of our comfort zones like Chris's suggestion of BTRs

I feel that if a build extends beyond 6 months it will lose momentum.

Gary - Are you going to make a separate "Chapter heading" on the Gallery/Picture site for this set of group builds and subsequent :?: I'm mindful about Shawn's comments on negotiating the Group build threads and whilst I follow the logic of playing off each other in that way - not to have a "finished article" -photo chapter that includes all the submissions (single pics per submission) seems something of an omission.

Just my tuppence worth........

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Greg Beckman
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Greg Beckman »

T-34, yup, act surprised.
Gregovich (Greg)

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Greg Beckman wrote:T-34, yup, act surprised.
Engineer version ;)

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Scott Fraser

Post by Scott Fraser »

Lend-Lease. I suppose that would include equipment supplied by Germany to Axis allies.

Find a photo, build the subject.

Of course, I'm game for anything used by the Red Army.

My 2¢
Scott Fraser
Last edited by Scott Fraser on 24 Feb 2015, 00:52, edited 1 time in total.

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Gary Boxall wrote:
Greg Beckman wrote:T-34, yup, act surprised.
Engineer version ;)

Gary
2 for 1 special :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mark Aldrich
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Mark Aldrich »

I think I can handle anything listed so far!
Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War
TreadHead is NOT an ugly word

Completed Campaigns:

Scott Fraser

Post by Scott Fraser »

Some random thoughts...

Any group build should be as inclusive as possible. For example, if halftracks are the subject, anyone who does not build German or American stuff is excluded --- there are no kits of the M5 used by Commonwealth and Soviet forces. I don't build German or American armour, so no halftrack from me.

The same holds for vehicle-specific themes. I could build dozens of KVs or T-34s, but there are those who don't build Soviet armour.

If a broad theme is selected, Lend-Lease for example, that opens the door to American or British equipment supplied to the USSR, American equipment used by Commonwealth or French forces in NW Europe, and, to include the German tank fanatics, anything supplied by Germany to Axis belligerents. That particular example includes hundreds of suitable subjects.

Another way to go about it is to select a timeframe or major operation. An example would be Barbarossa, although that is very much oriented to Soviet and German subjects. Another example would be anything from June 1944, which includes Bagration as well as D-Day, opening the door to almost anything in the way of late-war Allied or Axis subjects, including Japanese subjects.

Something like an armoured car build is also fairly inclusive, since everyone had armoured cars. Another broad theme would be light tanks, since everyone operated them, too. Tank destroyers, whether they be Marders, SU-85s, Hellcats or Archers, were diverse and used by everyone. Yet another way to go about it might be by armament, tanks with 75/76mm guns or something like that.

Most important, everybody should be able to participate and still stay within their own particular interests.

Anyway, those are some talking points. Over to you.

Regards
Scott Fraser

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

Scott,
There is a M5 currently available. http://www.shapeways.com/product/SEZ774 ... d=55128224
The IDF (to my knowledge) never used Tank Destroyers unless you count the two Achilles that MAY have been used. Luckily, the Syrians, Egyptians and Lebanese did (not sure about the Jordanians).
There is the Zis-42 in 1/35 scale. Hard to find but a Russian halftrack. Not completely sure if was actually used in WWII or not though.
Just giving you some ideas that may help depending on what is decided.
Also, I am sure two builds will be chosen to allow the largest number of members to participate.
Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War
TreadHead is NOT an ugly word

Completed Campaigns:

Scott Fraser

Post by Scott Fraser »

Mark, you're missing the point entirely.

As for splitting hairs, there is no M5 kit. What you linked is an expensive conversion kit that requires a DML M2 kit and front wheels from an M8. I have lots of other projects that are cheaper, easier and more accessible to occupy me until a conventional M5 kit is released. As for the ZiS-42, it is a rather obscure vehicle that saw little use. It is also well up there on the list of worst kits ever released. Have you ever seen it? I have it on my shelf and it will likely stay there until there my heirs sell my stash. I'm out of any halftrack build. Halftracks just don't have enough traction.

So I will repeat my point. Any theme for a group build should be as inclusive as possible to get the broadest participation. It is not easy to define such a theme, but it is not impossible.

Regards
Scott Fraser