DISCUSSION: 2018 GBs

Discussions, proposals and topics for Group Builds in this section. Group builds will be sorted by topic so that they can be used as a reference in the future.
Please note that new Group Build Topics can only be started by Admin or a Moderator.
Olivier Carneau
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: DISCUSSION: 2018 GBs

Post by Olivier Carneau »

Philipp Gross wrote:Another interesting subject could be "minor nations of WW2", with countries like Finland, Poland or Bulgaria - of course the stuff of most Commonwealth nations would be identical to the British except for unit markings :P Like above, this could be open to any type of land vehicle, aircraft or naval vessel.
Great idea. It could be extended to other time frames to depict a "big country" vehicle in service by foreign users army, for instance a Russian BMP-3 under UAE or South Korean colors, a Greek Leopard and so on.
Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Olivier Carneau wrote:
Philipp Gross wrote:Another interesting subject could be "minor nations of WW2", with countries like Finland, Poland or Bulgaria - of course the stuff of most Commonwealth nations would be identical to the British except for unit markings :P Like above, this could be open to any type of land vehicle, aircraft or naval vessel.
Great idea. It could be extended to other time frames to depict a "big country" vehicle in service by foreign users army, for instance a Russian BMP-3 under UAE or South Korean colors, a Greek Leopard and so on.
Agree with Olivier, always wanted to do an Aussie M1A1 AIM or a Kiwi Scorpion. Could even extend this a little to a kind of "what if" ie what would a T-90 look like if the NZ Army adopted it?
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

What about letting the WWI build include land, sea and air, there are plenty of appropriate 1/350th ships around now and the aircraft world would give lots of choice. Trench landscapes would give plenty of opportunities for water or snow and it saves us opening too many group builds just too accommodate ideas. Then have two 6 month categories which are more specific.

I really think WWI should be included as a practicality whole year subject.

Chris
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

I agree along the lines of what Chris is saying.

Lets do a World War I 100 Years group build. Make it 12 months long and any subject associated with WWI, in any format, diorama, vignette or stand alone models. I just bought two Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camels. There is really a lot of WWI stuff out there now :)

Then would be great to see a WW1 Tribute gallery for all the builds.
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Oh and I totally support Raouls other suggestion of logistics as one of the six month builds and AAA and SAMs for the other one as it was split off from the self propelled build.

Chris
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

So, I'd say WWI is set then - all of 2018 until 11/11, all subjects, all nations, all scales.

Other suggestions:
- Logistics
- "Water"
- Anti Aircraft
- Heavy/Assault tanks
- "something bizarre"
- Figure Bust
- Flying thing
- Floating thing
- "Minor Nations"
- "North Africa" (or any other theatre)

Keep 'em coming :D

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Just a small logistical point, which might help

A full year for the all encompassing the WWI is great, but I think the end date has to be 111118, so that would mean a start date of 121117

I am OK with that, as the current GB will be well on the way to completion, or dismal failure by then :oops:

The other GB's look pretty good for a vote too.

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Here I am, late as usual :? :lol: .
I like the idea of a long WW1 build, finishing next year. It makes sense given the approaching anniversary. As for another build I like the idea of logistics. Lots of options there.

Cheers,
Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

I've not seen this suggested before and it is a bit closely related to the recent light tanks build but I'd like to throw Reconnaissance into the ring.

This could range from a vignette of a scout team through Jeeps and light tanks up to M1 Abrams used by the Armored Cavalry at the end of the Cold War.

Chris
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Another idea: How about staff cars, could be expanded to each and any softskin military vehicle on a civilian basis excluding trucks.

We could also have a smaller GB where you pick an ugly old model of yours and build it again with all the extra goodies and skills now available to you.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage