2018 Group Builds?

Discussions, proposals and topics for Group Builds in this section. Group builds will be sorted by topic so that they can be used as a reference in the future.
Please note that new Group Build Topics can only be started by Admin or a Moderator.
Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

2018 Group Builds?

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Good day gentlemen

As it has been raised, ever so briefly, perhaps I could expand on some things that have crossed my mind recently.

I am rapidly approaching not finishing another GB, the big one, artillery and Pz 38t, though I feel I will finish the "quicky" lite tank build soon.

So what has been niggling at me enough to type this with one hand and a large ginger cat on my lap!

Well here goes, and these are just my thoughts, maybe you might feel or recognise some of my issues?

Why have I completed the 2 quick builds and really enjoyed them?

Why have I failed miserably with 4 serious GB's, on subjects I study?

Why am I enjoying building A FIRE ESCAPE?

How can I improve what I am doing?

Why is it happening like this?

Well, both the quick builds were "throw aways" literally, as I auctioned the Pz II G DAK and will do the same with the Pz II D Flammpanzer.
Both were experiments in techniques I wanted to try, Chipping a DAK tank and OPA and pigments respectively.
They were both cheap kits, no PE, OOTB builds, focused on the finish, and it was great fun, and very educational too.
Absolutely loved them both.

Now, the serious GBs?

Trying to do too much?, too many figures?, too much PE?, too big a scenario?, though some of us are able to achieve the giant works, well done yet again Raoul.
Am I so wrapped up in being a serious modeler, it lost the fun element?, very quickly!

Is it just me?

I have spent nearly as much time on the Grasshopper fire escape as everything else in the scenario, but loving it, as it is another new experience for me.

More pictures soon

Perhaps it could be a good time to start thinking about GB's for 2018?

Perhaps something really different too, as I have enjoyed the stress free building of something different and/or throwaway, and trying different techniques too.

And another twist too, if you like, perhaps to reduce the stress and add some fun, auction the finished product and a prize for whomever raises the most cash, as a donation to help fund PA?

I would happily donate one of my stash and post it to the worthy winner,

Perhaps a accumulated total for the 2/3/4 GB's and the prize will be an Xmas delivery?

In fact, I will name it for you all, the 1:35 Trumpeter K5 rail gun,believe it or not, I have a spare one!

Any how, GB's for 2018?

Perhaps something like this!

a single 1 year build of something cheap, say a MiniArt building /base, or a home made one, not overly expensive either way and not hampered by figures or a kit, just build a base, and plenty of time to keep polishing it.

Then it can be the base of one of your serious projects, so not wasted but becoming a focus with a real destination?

Then 2 x 6 month builds, or 3 by 4 months or 4 by 3 months? as long as they are small, cheap and totally different, a plane, a ship, a boat ,literally anything but armour!
and all of them to be potential auction items, to help raise funds for PA!

a single larger scale figure, anything bigger than 1:35
a bust,
a civilian vehicle
A sci-fi build,
A train,
A scratch build
A rocket
a Tree

Absolutely anything you have never build before, but just fancy having a go, and are happy to auction for PA

This would give the GB less of an "overwhelming your year", and becomes something interesting to dip into,
and leaves you to still have your own serious builds, to enjoy and share, with the GB's as a distraction, that are achievable?

We still have 8 months to go, a month of the lite GB and 2 months of the artillery/Pz 38t build
and then the figures/ARVs/AEVs/Engineer vehicles. GB for the 2nd half of 2017

My thoughts, how do you feel about the GB's?

Regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Re: 2018 Group Builds?

Post by Adam Durrant »

Got to agree with Steve, the most recent group builds have vexed me some.

I regarded the Prague Hetzer build as an experiment in OPR and rusting, hence no base or figures for this one.

The light tank build has been fun, a small kit, fast build time and a small diorama. Again I used it as an experiment in dioramas, using the AK products. It was also an experiment in figure painting, as this will be the first figure I will "post" on the internet.

Both of the above are finished, just fussing with photography at present.

I got sick of the Paladin build as it was too much.

I would go for 2 x 6mth builds. These would be of a narrower focus i.e. Panzer IV and variants.

We could do some "speed builds" that would be optional, i.e. One of these new "HO/1:87" scale tanks

On top we could have a year long build, wider scope, i.e. Artillery, but would not be considered finished until it had a base and a figure or two.

Just my 2c

Adam
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

I think it would be nice to hear a few more opinions of the people around here, especially those who don't participate in the GBs. I'm definitely open to suggestions.

My only advice right now would be to keep things simple as possible. Complicated or restrictive terms and conditions just scare people off.

As for my strictly personal opinion, nobody is forced to enter with grandiose dioramas that burn you out after a month. Building a kit OOTB and submitting some photos is just fine. Having fun is all that counts, a hobby should never feel like work.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Philipp Gross wrote:I think it would be nice to hear a few more opinions of the people around here, especially those who don't participate in the GBs. I'm definitely open to suggestions.

My only advice right now would be to keep things simple as possible. Complicated or restrictive terms and conditions just scare people off.

As for my strictly personal opinion, nobody is forced to enter with grandiose dioramas that burn you out after a month. Building a kit OOTB and submitting some photos is just fine. Having fun is all that counts, a hobby should never feel like work.

Philipp
+1 on that. The KISS principle should apply!

I think the great thing about group builds is it gives focus to my modeling and I like seeing what variations on the theme people come up with!
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

I like the generic subjects for the GBs as I can usually find something within my area of interest to build. If it is specific and out of my area of interest I won't be joining in ie Pz IVs and variants. I know I haven't been the most involved lately but that has more to do with things at home than lack of interest in the site. Finding somewhere to photograph finished builds is proving difficult never mind finding somewhere to put those finished builds which is sapping my motivation to finish stuff I've started. I think I've rambled enough now.

Chris
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage