2017 Group Build Poll

Discussions, proposals and topics for Group Builds in this section. Group builds will be sorted by topic so that they can be used as a reference in the future.
Please note that new Group Build Topics can only be started by Admin or a Moderator.

2017 GB Subjects

Self-propelled Artillery/Self-propelled Guns
27%
M113 and variants
6%
ARVs/AEVs/Engineer vehicles
12%
What If
No votes
Heavy Tanks
3%
Tank Destroyers
3%
T-34 and variants
3%
APCs/IFVs
3%
UN Vehicles
3%
Panzer 38(t) and variants
21%
Anti Aircraft
3%
Figure Vignette
15%

Total votes: 33

Justin Wooding

Re: 2017 Group Build Poll

Post by Justin Wooding »

Kill two birds with one stone and build a SPG on a 38t chasis. There are a few options :P
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Might as well build a Marder III, that's a 3-in-1 special :lol:

Another idea: Since four options seem to be quite popular, how about we do the 3rd and 4th place in the second half of 2017?

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Vincent Power »

That's a great idea Philipp

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Philipp Gross wrote:Might as well build a Marder III, that's a 3-in-1 special :lol:

Another idea: Since four options seem to be quite popular, how about we do the 3rd and 4th place in the second half of 2017?

Philipp
I'm up for that! I'm pretty sure I have a project for any winning combo, HobbyEasy had a sale on and I couldn't resist! :D
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

It's settled then :D

So many ideas....

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

We probably won't get any more votes, so for the sake of planning and preparation here's the hopefully final result:

Group Build 1: January 1st to June 30th 2017
1. Self-propelled Artillery/Self-propelled guns
2. Panzer 38(t) and variants

Group Build 2: July 1st to December 31st 2017
3. Figure Vignette
4. ARVs/AEVs/Engineer vehicles

The subjects should include lots of good stuff for everyone. Though the proper definition of what No. 1 should include is still up for debate.

Since I heard no negative opinions we'll stick to a 6 month duration for each campaign. Honour and glory (and a finely crafted memorial badge) await those who finish in time. :mrgreen:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Very good :)

We all know what a dedicated tank is. Tank destroyers can be a little harder to define from a self propelled gun. Is a Stug and SU-152 for example a SPG or a TD? Do you mind if i start a thread that we can 'debate' this in?

I am not an expert on 38t variants. Can i start a thread on this to discuss this topic also?

The other two categories are pretty clear cut i think.

Nice work Philipp :ugeek:
Woody...

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Now that's a nice selection and the six month time frame should suffice :D !

...In my humble opinion an SPG is everything that's not specifically something different, so a Waffenträger would be one, a Marder III not...maybe...it's weird... :lol:
A StuG, and qua extensio a SU and ISU-152, would certainly be, well, a StuG... initially and primarily an armoured infantry support weapon, and while the later ones with L/43 and L/48 guns had a tendency to act as TDs they still remained a separate force attached to IDs at need, TDs (at least German ones) in contrast where (nominally that is - when everything went downhill starting in late '43 most of the higher organisation ended up being only adminstrative and the forced in the field where more and more deployed in ad hoc Kampfgruppen, created from what was on hand at that time) organic assets of IDs.

38(t) Variants, in my opinion, should include the tanks, tank hunters, engineering and logistics vehicles on the original chassis as well as the various late war developments on the 38(d) chassis such as the Jagdpanzer 38 and assorted Waffenträger.
But again, that's only my opinion - especially the SPG category is wide open to interpretation and Justin is completely correct in desiring a separate thread where we can discuss just what constitutes what ;) .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

I guess we can just discuss the subjects here? ;)

Self-propelled guns - my original definition for the sake of having a definition was "everything not strongly armoured", since most of these would fall under the Tank Destroyer or Assault Gun category. Of course there's things like the (I)SU-152, which was always employed as an artillery piece as well. Definitely post-war, since the ISU-152 was for a long time the only armoured platform that could launch 152mm nuclear shells. The tank destroyer role had been entirely abandoned at this point. So, a few examples of what I think should be included would be lightly armoured tank destroyers like the Marder, trucks or halftracks with a gun on the back and of course classic SP Artillery like the Wespe, Hummel, Priest, M109 etc. But most of all we should be having fun, so I don't think these rules should be too tight.

The 38t is fairly simple in comparison. It starts with the Czech LT vz.38 series, the various export versions (Switzerland, Sweden, Peru, Iran, etc.), the German versions (Ausf. A to G and S), the countless SP guns based on the chassis (again the Marder, Grille, Flakpanzer 38 etc.) and of course the Hetzer. The late-war Waffenträgers were also based on 38t components and post-war we get things like the Swiss G13 (basically a Hetzer with a new engine) and the Swedish Pansarbandvagn 301, which is a fairly modern Cold War APC....based on a surplus 1930's tank chassis... Too bad there's no kit yet, otherwise I would build one :lol:

Maybe if anyone's not sure about their planned build they could just ask here? :)

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Philipp Gross wrote:I guess we can just discuss the subjects here? ;)
Yeah, we could discuss it here. I was just thinking seperate threads would keep it clean and specific to the thread title, making the subjects easy to find for modelers browsing for particular topics. More threads make for a busier looking site too, don't forget there are many who look here besides us half dozen or so regulars :lol: Just my thoughts :P
Woody...