Mama Can I

Anything diorama related goes here.
Shawn Ramsey
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Mama Can I

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Rob Matthews wrote:Shawn Will laugh at this - I used wooden Tongue depressors in a similar way to buttress my first and only effort.

Nice one Shawn ;)

Rob
Great minds think alike. :D

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Post by John Everett »

What color do you want to paint it?

Any light color, and you don't want to prime it in black. For bright colors use a light primer for background, light grey, white or even silver/aluminum will reflect light passing through the color coat and make the surface appear brighter. A black base will seriously tone down the top coat.

As far as doing the glossy surface, I've had good luck with plain old Testors Gloss Coat from the rattle can. Just don't lay it on too heavy. You might even try spraying it through the airbrush. (I've never tried it but it should work.) I've also had pretty good luck in spraying the surface with Future floor wax. I think the Testors looks nicer. But try both.

I've also had good results with Testors line of "Lacquer" spray cans. I'm not sure if these are real laquur of if they're just calling it that. But they have a very limited color range of and a proprietary top gloss which is somehow different from their regular gloss coat.
"You used up all the glue...............ON PURPOSE!" - Darren McGavin

Completed Campaigns:

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

John

I have no idea what color I'm going to paint it yet??? Thanks for the info regarding the gloss coat.

After looking at the model more I'm just not sure if I can get away with a civilian vehicle or not. The inside of doors are obviously just metal. May have to go back to the original idea and just have it be a civilian car that was acquired from the Germans. Time will tell. Busy working on the building right now and I really want to get started on the Scout Car.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Post by Vlad Seabrook-Smith »

This is an interesting project Shawn, I will echo Johns comments regarding the white scout car, brilliant kit and very enjoyable!

Watching with interest as I'm toying with a miniart building kit
Completed Campaigns:

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Times flies for sure. Its been over a year since I have worked on this build.

I thought I would spend some time on this until I decide what I want to build next. I have done a good bit on the scout car. I'm not including alot of in progress pictures since this same kit ha been built recently by Vincent. The kit has gone together really well so far without any major problems. I normally don't paint before my models are completely assembled, but I'm doing things a little differently this time.

I am going to paint the chassis and under the rear box. We are ready for some paint.

The kit does not include any radios, so I picked some up from LZ models. I am going to have at least one radio, maybe even two.

I have built one so far and I can tell you it is a little gem of a radio. It looks great.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Good to see you back on this one :) Will be a nice scene for sure once it's done.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Sorry Shawn, I missed your update. :oops: Good progress on the Scout Car and that radio is very nice too. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Thanks a lot Philipp and Vincent.

Well I have done it again and can never practice what I preach. I recently told Steve to build something small to get the mojo back. I fully intended to do same, with a new build this year.

Instead I started on this one again as previously posted. I have since then decided the Mini art base is just to small. So the logical thing to do is build it bigger. :roll: Plus I have be thinking about making several other changes. I really don't like the car, I want a civilian car that I can paint non-military colors. I don't even know if I am going to use the same figures anymore. If that happens the whole name will have to change. :roll: I am 90% certain the Scout car is staying. The only thing I am 100% certain about is the house will stay. The figure count may go up to around 10. Holly sh**, did I just say 10. This will be done sometime next year or later. :lol: :lol:

No updated pics right now. I am at work. :cry:

The construction on the house, minus the roof is just about done (it took alot of work) and I have spent the last three days working on the base which is now 13" wide by 12"

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

The main construction on the house is done. I had to sculpt some new bricks on some areas. This kit really took a lot of work to get it together. I don't like the roofs that come with Mini Art kits, so using plastic card, I made a new roof.

Finally the base. As I discussed in my last post the Mini art base was not big enough, so I made my own. I have always wanted to try using cork and I am really happy how it turned out. It took me three days to do it. :D :D I still have to fill the gaps, with some type of filler.

Thanks for looking

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

That cork base is amazing! What material did you use?

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage