Its time to scratch build a vignette building.

Anything diorama related goes here.
Shawn Ramsey
Senior Site Contributor.....

Its time to scratch build a vignette building.

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Well, I know this will come to a surprise to you guys, but I am a diorama guy. Sometimes I really wish I was not, because I hardly ever seem to finish anything. I have built several houses and buildings, but I have never scratch built one.

It has been over two years since I finished a build. :roll: The closes model I have to finishing, is my Hobby Boss Scout car. Initially this was going to be with the Miniart Dutch House, but it just does not seem to fit in with the house.

Over the last few days I have started to build a small vignette with a simple building and base.

Using some foam board, balsa wood, plastic sheet, Styrofoam, and Miniart accessories, I think I have the beginning of a great looking scene. Of course there will be a couple of figures, but no more than three. I hope you like it.

Thanks
Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Vincent Power

Re: Its time to scratch build a vignette building.

Post by Vincent Power »

Another masterpiece in the making Shawn. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Thanks Vincent

Also a big shout out to Glenn Bartolotti and his amazing builds. I followed his tutorial here http://sbsarmormodels.yolasite.com/reso ... ldings.pdf and applied it to my build. Note When you open the link you have to go to the bottom of the screen and scroll to the middle of the screen to find the tutorial.

Using Magic Sculpt, an old toothbrush, a small screw driver and a dental tool, I added stone work to the building. Over all it was really easy, but took a few hours of non stop work.

I am really please with how this turned out being my first attempt. :D

Thanks
Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Using more Magic Sculpt the work continues. The wall for the drain pipe has been added along with a Cobblestone road.

Sculpata mold next for the rest of the base and wall filler to be added between the Cobblestones.
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

Fabulous!!!!
Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War
TreadHead is NOT an ugly word

Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

That looks absolutely stunning :shock: I really need to try this technique.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Thanks Mark.

Philipp- Its really easy to do. I tired to look at some reference materials but that was way to difficult IMHO. :roll: So I just started making the walls and before to long it was done. I did work one section at a time, if not the Magic sculpt gets to hard to work with, after about an hour or so.

I have finished up the construction phase of the base and building. The roof was made with plastic card cut into squares. The pattern was really difficult and it took me a good bit of time to figure out how to do it. This is actually my second attempt. The first one I did, I felt the tiles were way to big. Most likely it would have worked but it was bothering me, so I completely redid it.

I used a wire brush to attempt to make some wood grain on the doors and shutters. We will see how it turns out when the paint is applied. In doing so, I lost most of the detail on the door and shutters, so I used lead foil to add the bolt heads back. I did not have the small door since it was used on another project, so I had to scratch build one. I'm pretty happy with the results. I scratched some hinges as well.

Thanks
Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Looks awesome Shawn, the attention to detail is impressive.

Adam
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

:o - sorry, just... it gets more awesome every time something new is added! :mrgreen:

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Thanks a lot Adam and Raoul.

I have decided on the figures to bring this vignette to life. I know you guys will be shocked but I'm only going to have three figures.

I will be using a figure from Mantis, The civilian from the Verlinden set and the GI holding the rife in front from Alpine.

I really like the Verlinden set, but I did not like the guys shaking hands (I know it would have saved a lot of work) :roll:, but when do I ever do anything easy. Anyways I had to do some slight modifications to the Mantis Figure including sculpting a new arm and replacing the hands. The Verlinden figure received new hands as well and I adjusted things slightly so he would stand more upright. Of course I used Hornet heads and the hands are from Royal Model which are fabulous. :D

I hope you enjoy

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage