Raoul Kunz
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Huge scale-, insane-, won't be done by 11th/11th-, timeline-dio

Post by Raoul Kunz »

PROGRESS! :lol:

In the face of 38°C temperatures ;) .

Anyhow - significant ageing with oils has been inflicted on the poor thing =>

Next up are tracks - those are really nice precut items. Interestingly they are individually numbered, it's almost a bit Great War-ish with items individually numbered which aught to be and where mass produced :lol: .

The instructions claim 92 links but it's 90... oh and they stay moveable without any problems - splendid engineering I have to say :mrgreen: .

Base-coated and test fitted =>

Now the ...err... let's just call them duckbills, Ostketten...err... all WW2 based.. err.. track-extensions-for-providing-more-traction-in-no-man's-land... you get the gist ;) .

And now here we are =>

This thing is such a brute really... it's like a cudgel compared to the rapier of, say a L/60 Panzer III - both kill but one is a savage brute and the other one is a precision instrument ;) .

Once this tank is done I will conduct some experiments with trenches - I have secured some thermoplastic cork-EVA-mix material at work that, if carved cold and subsequently heated up may, and I stress may, provide a solution to my "don't want to buy a gazillion sandbags" dilemma.

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Super work Raoul

What palette of oils did you use?

Hopefully your sandbag experiment will succeed?

I must get started on the 14-168 GB

Looking good

Regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Thanks Steve! :D

I use mostly 502nd oils along with some ordinary low quality artist's oils I bought a while back.
I'm a big fan of Shadow Brown, if nothing else where on the kit, Shadow Brown alone would still manage a decent finish ;) .

Though on this tank there is a dotted mixture of Wash Brown, Shadow Brown, Dark Mud, Burnt Sienna and Black present...or was if it wasn't all mixed up and homogenized already ;) .

Haven't tried the sandbag option yet, I think this will be more of a weekend thing, currently am at home because my MC is acting up, though I should be back on Friday. :roll:

Anyway - I thing I might have, or are at least very close to, finishing the MkIV for now. It will get a layer of mud and all sorts of added debris once I reach the "Year of Battles 1916" slice of the project so it will fit in.

I know I'm repeating myself, but it had to have been horrible back then seeing such a brute crawling out of the barrages and residual gas and all the assorted horrors already unleashed to add another new devilry ;) .
I mean, it still leaves an impression today... in 35th scale... or maybe I'm just weird... :oops: :lol:

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

What was your process with the tracks? They look really good!

Adam
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Thanks Adam! :D

I first airbrushed the tracks with Mig Dark Steel (which really isn't all that dark, more like Gunmetal), next I "pigmented" them with Iron Oxide, Medium Brown and a minor dusting of Dark Ochre. After brushing them off a bit I sprayed the whole tracks with 502nd Engine Grease oil greatly thinned with turpentine to fix the pigments and provide another little layer of a reddish hue. Eventually I dry-brushed the tracks again with the rather bright Mig Dark Steel to high-light the elements that actually suffer from attrition... err that's too topical for this setting, let's say abrasion ;) , and put it on the tank.

I may very well get another layer of mud and/or dust eventually, but this will remain open until I've built it's diorama segment.

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Thanks Raoul, my FT-17 build stalled because I had a mental block on what to do with the tracks. Seeing yours has given me inspiration!

Juweela models does packs of “flexible” sandbags in 1/35 scale (comes in packs of 25, 50 or 100) for a pretty reasonable price. They could solve your sandbag dilemma. BNA stock them in Australia if you wanted to check them out.
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

I've been eyeing specifically those sandbags for a while now.
Should be available easily, since it's a German company but 100 would still be a drop in the bucket... I will see if my thermoplastics project works, though I'll have to order a s**tload of sandbags one way or the other since at least the top layer of the parapet as well as the parados should at the very least be individual units...

Juweela also offers some other cool items I have lying around here, like different coloured Reichsnormziegel ("Imperial standard pattern bricks"), the appropriately sized German brick (made of plaster for a maximum of realistic damage if needed), of the 19th and 20th century :lol: .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns:

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Okay, sandbag test time - prepare for mediocre success :lol: .

I sent some of my break at work with abusing the machines and fiddeling around with thermoplastic cork/ethylene-vinyl acetate (soft-ish, shock absorbent plastic) mixture material.
Turns out that sandbags from this stuff, while easily and quickly created, cost neutral (the leftovers of this stuff are...well junk and there for free) and moderately form-able are more useful as stuff in the less visible corners or wall segments below the parapet than for more exposed elements.

But see for yourself=>
Unpainted wall semi-profile bas-relief-ish test segment =>

The same with some paint on it and a single bag =>

Granted, they look less horrible in reality by virtue of, well scale and less magnification, they still are probably okay for these big elements, but for nothing exposed... :?

Aww well - nothing lost in trying :lol: .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

To be honest at the moment they look like little baked goods (?scones), but with a bit of “mud” packed in around them they would be good as a bottom layer :D
Completed Campaigns:

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Your honesty is welcome! ;)

You're right - I thought they look a bit like scones or bread rolls as well, yes, but the single one specifically looks like a hamster's behind :lol: .

I think I'll see what a bit of mud can do, if it all turns out useless... as I said: nothing lost in trying :lol: .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns: