Huge scale-, insane-, won't be done by 11th/11th-, timeline-dio

Anything diorama related goes here.
Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Huge scale-, insane-, won't be done by 11th/11th-, timeline-dio

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

They look OK for foundations Raoul.

It will be interesting to see how a layer of mud looks?

I am sure it will be OK, and a super way of being environmental with your work waste too.

Must get my GB started!

Bank Holiday in Germany?

It's raining here, so it's another British Summer bank holiday!

Have fun with your sandbags.

Regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Thanks Steve!
I suppose I'll use those as a base... in the area that is covered with mud and half-hidden by the planks above the ground in wet trenches anyway and thus properly mud-covered in the winter half of the year and alternating between dust and mud in summer and I'd only have to buy a lot sandbags instead of a megaton ;) :lol: .

Sadly no bank holiday here, next up will be the ill placed Saint Helmuth's day, also known presumptuously as the "Day of the German Reunification" on October 3rd... a rightfully much maligned misnomer if there was ever one for the annection of the GDR by the FRG at the end of the Cold War... but don't get me started on why the date is plain idiotic, there was a lot of moderatly unconstitutinal manouvering and that there's a way better one on November 9th that would show all the ambivalence of German history in the 20th century (the abdication of the Imperial government in '18, the Beer Hall Putsch in '23 and the opening of the border checkpoints of the inner-German border in '89)...
I'm in ramble-mode again ain't I...? :oops: :? :lol:

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

All right - next attempt! :lol:

I did some more "sandbags" at work, this time I simply ground the roughly 10mm x 15mm blocks (again using the cork-EVA mixture stuff because it's there, I know it looks like cookie dough :lol: ) into vaguely bread-roll sandbaggy-ish-shaped... err... shapes and stacked them.
Looks better as a lower base for the trenches (to me that is) than the heat formed versions.
They are fairly rough, courtesy of the lamellar wheel I ground them with because the "proper" bands would generate either sharp edges or bloody fingertips :lol: , but a minor coat of plastic glue softens them.

Oh I did a version of the heat formed segment with mud but it looked really crappy.. maybe I'll post it as a compare and contrast to the newer one, should it work out better. ;)

As to why I'm jumping through all these hoops: this roughly 15cm x 5cm segment consists of 34 bags, so one trench segment on one of the diorama plates would take something like... :? .... :?: .... :idea: ... :!: ... at least a thousand sandbags for both sides excluding parapet, parados and installations. For three "years". Of course there will be whicker strengtheners that subtract again from the number (still need to figure out how to do those in useful numbers, though I got a couple of ideas...) but I will need a lot and buying those numbers is somewhat cost-prohibitive ;) .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

I suspect this attempt will look quite convincing when muddied up! ;)
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

I gave it a base-coat... wooooow! :lol:

I also decided to use the K.u.K. field officer as a scale orientation since I have him twice but can't really use him twice.. the grunts, yes, they are sufficiently generic and will get steel helmets replacing their shakos anyway, but he... nah.. so he became a scale demonstrator, imagine him grumbling and cursing like this all the time :lol: .
(trust me, as a native speaker of German this is just as much goobledegook to me as it is to you... Viennese... :lol: )

=>

Still needs some trimming and then a washing and then a layer of mud and then some gloss varnish to get it a bit wet for additional cliché Great War feels... and because I want to use it at least in edit one segment (the wet mud setup that is...), so I'd like to test it :lol: .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
Last edited by Raoul Kunz on 04 Sep 2018, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

Completed Campaigns:

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Raoul Kunz wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 23:53 I gave it a base-coat... wooooow! :lol:
Still needs some trimming and then a washing and then a layer of mud and then some gloss varnish to get it a bit wet for additional cliché Great War feels... and because I want to use it at least in once segment, so I'd like to test it :lol: .
Best regards
Raoul G. Kunz
They do look like you are clearly on the right road Raoul ;)

Even a base coat looks good, next stop mass production 8-)

Well done Raoul

Regrads

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Thanks Steve!

In the intervening weeks I actually did some work on the 14/18 dio... however it's all boring stuff, infrastructure preparation and tests for things I need to "mass produce" :lol: .

Anyway, here we go =>

This was an attempt to build a segment of stabilizing fascine weave on a frame, first a oversimplified version which I thought might look okay when covered in mud but it already looked crappy in this state, so I went ahead and did a proper woven one, all from dry grasses (it's currently still really dry around here...) which looks a bit less crappy... :? :roll:

[...] next stop mass production
I also used my breaks at work to produce some more "dough"-wall-use-sandbags...like ~500... I also ordered some lamellar wheels for my Mannesmann-dremel-fake-rotary-tool-thingy to produce these things at home without having to (ab)use the huge-four-axles-shoe-building-rotary-machine to grind tiny 1.5cm x 1cm rectangles. :lol:

I will eventually start working on this properly, I swear! Just need to figure out a ton of perquisites primarily for the trenches :roll: . Next up is corrugated iron...let's see what to do about this...

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Your ingenuity is most impressive Raoul. I admire the way you are thinking through potential issues and finding some clever solutions. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Thanks Vincent! :D

To me it always feels more like muddling through and less like ingenuity. :lol:
It's probably both in varying amounts ;) .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Interesting to see what you will do for corrugated iron, I’ve never found a commercial product I’ve been happy with ;)
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage