Not So Quiet

Anything diorama related goes here.
Matt Parvis
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Not So Quiet

Post by Matt Parvis »

So, my latest project, which I have been working on for a couple of months, is a WWI dio. I am using Masterbox's recent "Hand to Hand fighting, WWI era" figures, some from ICM's British Infantry 1917-1918, and Takom's Mk IV "Female" with their workable track link set thrown in.

I haven't taken any pictures as the build progressed so I won't bore everyone with trying to describe how things went and skip right to where I am as of this moment:

First up, the Mk IV. The kit went together pretty well, but, as others have mentioned in threads about other Takom kits, the attachment points are pretty large and can cause issues at times.

Painting of the tank is pretty much complete, just some metal pigments to add for the MG barrels. I do still need to finish painting the mud that is on the tank to get it to match the base. The left hand side track from the mid-point back has been painted and just needs some touching up for the base and then some dry-brushing for highlights.

Speaking of the base, here it is:

I am pretty happy with it right now. It still needs some more details added and some paint touched up. The biggest issue is that the sides aren't really even and flat, so, fitting a wood covering is proving difficult. I may continue with plaster over the foam on the sides followed up by sanding to get a smooth face that can then be painted black. We will see what looks to work best.

here is the tank and base together:

Finally, some heads (Hornet) on stakes:

... and their bodies:

The British soldiers are mostly done with small areas to be painted and details to be added and painted remaining. The Germans need more to complete, but with generally simpler uniforms hopefully they will go quick.

So, that is the state of this project, hopefully I'll manage to post again before the month is out.

Matt

Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Not So Quiet

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Great work Matt

Love the figures and good looking heads too ;)

Very nice camo on the tank too :D

Looks exceptionally muddy and authentic :D

Seems you have been a busy boy 8-)

Very nice work :D

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

The painting of those faces is masterful :o I'll be following this build with interest.
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Mr Parvis - I'll begin the chant.......

"We're not worthy, we're not worthy........."

Fab work my friend - Love that groundwork and those figures are awesome 8-) (as is the tank - Lovely scheme)

Great to have you back posting :D :D

Rob
Last edited by Rob Matthews on 02 May 2016, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Who is Matt Parvis :roll: I know the name sounds familiar but I can't place it. 8-)

Oh yay he is a guy that used to be pretty active on some modeling forums and I think I have meet him a few times at shows. :lol: :lol: Can't remember for sure since we don't see the name much.

Anyway Matt Parvis really first class work there my friend.

The Tank looks great, love the paint. The figures are really good.

Plaster around the base should work fine. Mike Roof makes his bases like that and they turn out great. If you don't know who he is, he is a first class model builder for sure.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

What is it these days with everyone bulding masterpieces and not telling anyone until it's done? :evil: :lol:

Seriously, extremely nice work!

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Matt Parvis
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Matt Parvis »

You all are too kind. The project has gone pretty well and I haven't managed to make any major blunders yet, so, that probably means an epic fail is on its way. :o

I would say though, I have always liked Masterbox figures in the past, good detail and really nice posing have made them very useful. This set though, the poses are still good, but, the detail is pretty bad in places and awful in others. Anyone else noticed a decline?

Matt

Matt Parvis
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Matt Parvis »

Very small update: I haven't done any work on this today, but, I wanted to post a picture of the barbed wire since it is tough to see in what I have posted so far and I am pretty happy with how it came out. Here it is:

It is speaker cable taken apart, twisted together, then short pieces, about 3-4 cm, are wrapped around the main strand twice and cut down for the barbs.

Matt

John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Post by John Everett »

Hey! Wow! I had no idea you were doing something this size in WWI.

What's the ground cover made from? This is on a foam substrate?
"You used up all the glue...............ON PURPOSE!" - Darren McGavin

Completed Campaigns:

Matt Parvis
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Matt Parvis »

John, yes it is on several piece of insulation foam stacked up and then carved.

The ground cover is a mix of Sculptamold, Durham's Water Putty, sand, pigments, white glue, and water.

Matt