Anyone know of a printable masking medium?

Whatever doesn't fit elsewhere goes here
Johnny Brosnan

Anyone know of a printable masking medium?

Post by Johnny Brosnan »

Heya Folks,

I'm looking to create masks for a dazzle pattern on a sci-fi APC...

Having spent about two months last year masking and painting a digital camo pattern on a tank last year, I'm looking to make this project a little easier by creating the pattern on the computer and then printing it out onto artist's masking film/paper. So, that being said, does anyone know of a printable masking medium akin to Frisket that will run through a computer printer?

And of course, it would have to be available in the U.S..

Many thanks, my friends!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
"I love the smell of resin in the morning!!"

Dave Johnson

Re: Anyone know of a printable masking medium?

Post by Dave Johnson »

Tamiya does A4 sized sheets of its tape. You can print directly onto that. Or you can get a plotter and cut the frisket direct. That's what I do for a lot of my aircraft masks

Matt Parvis
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Matt Parvis »

John, this is the kind of thing Dave is talking about. I don't have one, but, I've seen several forum threads where guys have used similar machines and been very happy with their results. It is a little pricey upfront, but, you end up with the ability to make custom masks.

Matt

Dave Johnson

Post by Dave Johnson »

Thats the machine I have.., I have only used it a couple of times but I have used it to make canopy masks and national makings

Johnny Brosnan

Post by Johnny Brosnan »

Wow, thanks for all the advice, guys!!!

Man, that computer-cutter gizmo sounds pretty cool!!! Definitely a hefty price tag though and out of my budget range for a while. Going to have to keep this in mind for the future. Dave, what have you used as the actual masking materiel when you've used this cutter? And how well does that masking material conform to compound curves and other typical model shapes? How fine are those cuts? Man, you could make custom stencils for markings, which would also be awesome.

And thanks for the link, Matt! Hope you're hanging in there through the Second Ice Age this year...

For this project, I may just have to go the "old school" route and hand-cut the masks. Will keep yuse posted (hopefully with pictures!) once I move forward on this project, which is ready for the masks. First, though I have to finish my ASPB gunboat and M548 "Guntruck".

Thanks again, gents!!!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
"I love the smell of resin in the morning!!"