Photography

Whatever doesn't fit elsewhere goes here
Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Photography

Post by Gary Boxall »

Not strictly modelling, but an integral part of showing your builds both as WIP and the finished product. I've had mixed results which is probably mostly down to a makeshift set up but after freeing up some space, I would like something a little 'grander' to produce better results.
So, any pics of what set up you use and info on equip would be great if you're happy to share :D

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Dave Johnson

Re: Photography

Post by Dave Johnson »

How much are you wanting to spend is the first question Gary?

Dave Johnson

Post by Dave Johnson »

When I first started back modelling and got onto the forums, I just used a Desk Lamp and a piece of card.. work fine till I wanted more!

Once I upgraded to an DSLR I got one of those Light Cubes and Lamps off Trade Me.. I think it was round $150 at the time.. Here it is in its glory at the time -

Just found one for $139 here is the link - http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-ph ... 213248.htm

I used this for a couple of years and it was fantastic till I ditched 48th Aircraft and moved up to 32nd... I then started to have problems fitting things inside, manly twin engine aircraft :roll:

Then I moved on this this set up I have at the moment.. I have LED lamps on stands.. Works get for everything large. I am temped to get another lamp so I have one over head what I am shooting..

Only down side I paid around $90 per lamp and $50 per stand.. but I was able to claim some of it back via business expense

Dave Johnson

Post by Dave Johnson »

On the other hand you can take a cheaper option, which my mate in the US has done.. He knocked this post up for our admin area on on Large Scale Modeller -

My "studio" setup is very budget-oriented haha.

The first pic is my old setup which consisted of a bed sheet draped over a wire-frame shelf thing propped up on boxes to make it taller.

he new setup is a "proper" soft box, but it's far too small so I'm going to be modifying it to make it wider so that it can accommodate the posterboards that I use for backgrounds.

This is the exact "soft box" that I bought: http://www.alibaba.c...hting_Tent.html

It came with some fabric backgrounds, but I much prefer posterboard for the flat smooth surface.

Basically you just need to diffuse the lights so they aren't so harsh and don't create hard shadows.

The lights I'm using are just standards household reading lamps with 100-watt incandescent bulbs.

I'm
using a Canon 40D with a 28-135mm IS USM lens. The settings for the test shot I included of the Fw190 are F/10, 1/40-sec shutter, and ISO 1600.

I just shot it in a hurry for an example, so I had to set the ISO high for a hand-held shot. It came out fine, but I would normally use a
tripod and much higher F-stop (and longer shutter) for a less shallow depth of field.

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Hi Dave

I have a soft box which is very similar to the one with the 190 in it but haven't been happy with the results. I'm using an EOS 70D with a tripod but it could well be the lighting which is letting me down. I'm using standard household daylight bulbs but think that LEED may be the way to go. I've just set up a new modelling bench with 3 LED lights overhead which work really well. May have to try the same for the picky side of things.

Certainly some food for thought above - thank you :)

Gary

Dave Johnson

Post by Dave Johnson »

The standard house bulbs could be your issue. I would have a look at getting some 5500k daylight bulbs instead. You can get these off eBay for a couple bucks a bulb. I would think your cube would be fine as your shooting small subjects and nothing like a 32nd B 25 or Ju88 bombers. I would suggest trying the bulbs prior to forking out for a couple LED Lamps

Troy Henderson
Site Contributor....
Site Contributor....

Post by Troy Henderson »

After getting your lighting right, which is essential, the two main things you need to worry about is getting your aperture nice and wide which will get you a larger and deeper focusing area. Get your white balance correct and use a tripod with a remote control for longer exposures (goes hand in hand with the wide aperture setting). Use a low ISO setting too. The higher ISO settings are for fast moving sports and will be grainy, Low ISO gives your great sharpness. If you can, shoot in RAW format and process your pics in Photoshop before saving them in JPEG.

I have the same soft box as above, but a lot of my 1/48 and even some 1/72 aircraft, (the Herc and Bou) have too wide a wing span to fit in on most shots.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DesTROYersModels/

"They say that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain.
They are, of course, wrong, as you shall soon discover, when I stick this toasting fork into your head." Blackadder

Dave Johnson

Post by Dave Johnson »

Gary do you know what setting you are also using on you camera?

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Off teh top of my head, ISO 100 (slowest it can go to) and manual settings to get widest depth of field. I use the timer for shutter release though I can remote control through my smart phone too.

I think my biggest problem is lighting. I'm using energy saving daylight bulbs but only 3 of them. I think the LED style set up you showed aove is the way to go...

Gary

Dave Johnson

Post by Dave Johnson »

I think your bulbs are the issue.. the photos that I have seen that you posted look clear and fine to me..

I would drop the bulbs you have, as you stated they are standard Household bulbs.. I just guessing that they are 100w? Those won't be bright enough..

I would try these to start off with... http://www.ebay.com/itm/E27-Spiral-45W- ... 541a98bb35 and see how they make a difference.