MIG Ammo paints

Whatever doesn't fit elsewhere goes here
Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Re: MIG Ammo paints

Post by Gary Boxall »

Rob Matthews wrote:The Mig Ammo paints are sate of the art - IMHO - as I keep bleating.
Rob. They are a nice paint, however, I now have some serious doubts about their colour accuracy....

I recently bought their British 1939-45 ETO Smart Set. I cracked open the SCC 15 Olive Drab to paint the Churchill Snake. This colour generates similar debate as Dunkelgelb but it is generally widely accepted that a certain Mike Starmer is an expert in British colours and his paint mixes are well documented on the web.
As I sprayed the paint on, it was immediately obvious something wasn't quite right but continued to get an even coat. After referring to Mike Starmer's Tamiya mixes, I made up my own SCC 15 and as you can see, it differs considerably to the AMMO colour (AMMO on the left)...

Below is the mix followed...

I'm no expert, but have no reason to doubt Mr Starmer's mix. Also, given that SCC 15 was designed to almost replicate the standard US OD, it's not hard to see that the AMMO colour is way off the mark.

One off? Who knows, but I'll certainly be more wary of these sorts of colours in the future....

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Yup - I copy that Gary. I was aware. Here's Mike Starmer's rather damning verdict in full...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/me ... +2+colours

I think colour accuracy is always going to bedevil the subject and it would seem that on this occasion Mig Ammo are slightly wide of the mark. However my comments still stand for the quality of the paint.

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Rob Matthews wrote: Mig Ammo are slightly wide of the mark.
I'd say slightly was an understatement in this case ;)

But, I do agree that the paints themselves are nice.

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....