The winds of change

Whatever doesn't fit elsewhere goes here
Matt Parvis
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

The winds of change

Post by Matt Parvis »

The Old Dominion Open Model show was last weekend in Richmond. I went down for the show and had a nice time. At least at that show, there has been a big change in entries. Since a picture is worth a thousand words here are a couple of pictures to illustrate what I am talking about:

Gundam entries:

Softskin and small scale armour entries:

Granted, softskin and small scale armour aren't the most popular categories, but, they weren't alone in being pretty thin on entries, the 1/48 scale Axis prop category had less then 10 entries! Not that long ago, there would have been 20+ 109s plus everything else.

Don't misunderstand me though, I am not complaining at all, the folks building the gundam models are a much younger group and they are excited and geeked out about modelling, that is a great thing in my book.

Matt

Vincent Power
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: The winds of change

Post by Vincent Power »

You are right of course Matt. Being excited about building a model, any model, is what's important. The interest in Gundam models is certainly growing from what I can see. At my LHS the space allocated for Gundam gets bigger and bigger. Who says modelling is dying? ;)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Re: The winds of change

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Can't say I'm totally shocked - the younger generation (and boy is it weird for me to think of "those youngins" 'spose I'm getting old :lol: ) currently is more attrackted to things which are not necessitating a ton of books and research... of course most Gundam stuff I'm seeing there (and I am an avowed UC Gundam fan) is SEED (horrible show from the early noughts) and Build Fighters (a kind of meta show that's strictly geared towards 12-16 year olds... crappy shonen stuff), no UC Gundam stuff to be seen... which kind of supports my argument... UC Gundam has a complex internal timeline, history and a ton of stuff going on, so much that getting into it is essentially the same as getting into WW2 history... :lol: :roll: :?

But I also feel that we elderly here (yeah, I'm digging out the Lovecraft here, he was refering to himself as "grandpa" in his letters when he was about my age... :lol: ) are probably just moping at a current temporal tendency that to us seems like the end of the old ways... you know - "Jugend ist Trunkenheit ohne Wein. " ("Youth is intoxication without wine.") - Goethe :lol:

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage