UDK 38 Schenkel

Whatever doesn't fit elsewhere goes here
Bryan Krueger
Senior Site Contributor.....

UDK 38 Schenkel

Post by Bryan Krueger »

The UDK Schenkle is an iconic SF3D design. Mechanical/organic shapes coupled with wires and hoses all over the place. This is the Schenkle resin garage kit from 2012 and s far as I know, the only 1/35 Schenkle ever produced from a very limited run. Maybe 25-50 ever produced. This is the second release of the kit which includes white metal leg and hip pieces to help with the weight of the final model. The turret is rotationally molded hollow but is still pretty heavy when all assembled. I picked this up last year from a friend that was getting out of MaK and selling off his kits.

The kit is a real beast to assemble. Lots of parts, lots of attachment points, seam lines, warped parts, flash, pin holes, etc to clean up. Most of the parts follow a logical assembly and are fairly easy to clean but there are just so many pieces. I'm not criticizing the kit manufacturer, it's just a tough model to kit. The are so many layers of detail and they did a great job researching, engineering, and matching the original.

I started the kit early 2019 but set it aside after I got to a point where I needed to attach the legs. During a long Christmas break, I finally tackled these. I first made a wooden frame to support the torso horizontally then used this to set the hip joints and finally the legs. The white styrene tubes were cut to fit, the cast resin ones were too short and warped. I also replaced a few cast parts with pieces form the Tamiya Matilda just becasue they were easier to clean up. It looks like a beast but the whole thing is so delicate. I notable replacement is the Panther copula. The kit one was molded closed so I replaced it with a Panzer Art resin copula, its very nice with interior details.

Figure is for scale, Paint bottle are for size. Can you actually believe there is a 1/20 version garage kit?

I am really terrible about taking in progress photos so here we are:

If you are thinking about scratch building yout own or just curious about the donor kits used, visit Road to Schenkle
Last edited by Bryan Krueger on 08 Jul 2022, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Re: UDK 38 Schenkle

Post by Adam Durrant »

Holy crap Bryan, that thing is huge! Like you I'm surprised a block of resin that large, even hollow, hand be supported by those delicate legs.

I'm taking bets on now that at least one leg gets knocked off during the painting process! :D
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bryan Krueger

Post by Bryan Krueger »

No, don't say it!!! Argh. :lol: I'm keeping the thing on wooden blocks as a back up.
AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

That's absolutely brilliant Bryan. :D Love all the detail you've put into this one and of course, the fact that it's huge just adds to the appeal. Can't wait for the paint. ;)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bryan Krueger

Post by Bryan Krueger »

Thank you, it really is a dream to build. Not in terms of the build, but that I'm actually building one. I recall seeing the Schenkle the first time in one of those inserts that came with the original SF3d kits when TCI distributed them in 86-87. That little insert exposed me to the larger SF3D world and I was hooked immediately.

Here is a little progress on the turret. It's a mix and match of brass rod, coil springs and vinyl tubing. The tan bits are from the Tamiya Matilda. There are many areas where the texture flaked off so it needs a lot of re-texture repair work.

AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Wow.....just....wow :shock: That thing is awesome beyond words!

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bryan Krueger

Post by Bryan Krueger »

Thanks Phil. It really is an amazing design.
AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

There is a huge amount of work there Bryan....long term project?
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bryan Krueger

Post by Bryan Krueger »

I started this sometime early last year. I did a bit of work on the turret and engine area but stalled out on the legs and switched to other things.
AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Bryan Krueger

Post by Bryan Krueger »

Now in all it's primer glory!!!

AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage