What do you enjoy more? Building or painting?

Whatever doesn't fit elsewhere goes here
Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

What do you enjoy more? Building or painting?

Post by Philipp Gross »

Just what the title says: Which step do you like more? Or is it all the same to you?

As far as I'm concerned, I definitely lean more towards the building phase. Every now and then I absolutely enjoy adding tiny details to an older kit for days and weeks. And then there are days when I desperately want to start a Tamiya kit because the thought of photoetch makes me sick... :lol:

I used to be mortally afraid of airbrushing because my general lack of talent led to a huge risk of ruining everything. More experience and the discovery of oven cleaner and its useful side effects on plastic models have reduced that a bit. Still, it's not quite as enjoyable for me as actually putting the pieces together, and any mishap at that stage often leads to me abandoning the project for weeks or months (or years...).

So, what are your opinions on this?

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: What do you enjoy more? Building or painting?

Post by Adam Durrant »

Usually enjoy the building most. However, seeing a particular weathering technique pan out is very satisfying. Also find that by the time I am painting/weathering one kit, my mind is on the next build!
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Hi Chaps

I enjoy building, both new kits and turning something into a different kit, Stug "0" for example,

I want to enjoy AB,painting & weathering too, and the Pz II G has been real eye opener.

I really love figure scribing and head painting :roll:

I am loving, again, soldering too 8-)

I hate not having the time to do it all, any, one of the above when I want, but in all reality, I am am a morning person, so I do the best and enjoy it most in the AM not PM.

One day, in the far distance, time will no longer be an issue, but I guess I will still be an early bird, not a night owl :roll:

So Anna and I will never clash over my hobby, too much, as she is still in bed when I dust off and open my desk to play every morning, even if its only for 45 minutes.

Good thread Philipp

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Painting and detailing.
In time terms the Build is always a slog and it's an effort to keep the pace up so that the momentum and enthusiasm doesn't wane.

Painting and detailing represents a small proportion of the time spent on the model but it's when it comes alive :D

As for time - I'm with Steve :|

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Yngve Sjodin

Post by Yngve Sjodin »

I think I like the whole process really,,and always get a bit post-build depressive when a project is done:D
"One man's garbage is another man person's good ungarbage" - Ricky , Sunnyvale Trailer Park

www.hobbyhistorica.com

John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Post by John Everett »

I've come to enjoy the painting more. This is a recent development since discovering how to properly use Tamiya paint through an Iwata airbrush.

Just two years ago I avoided airbrushing until the step became an absolute necessity. But now I find that I will happily fill the paint cup with two drops of 90% isopropyl alcohol and two drops of Tamiya and add a subtle effect to a component before it's even mounted to the model.

Paint effects have become easier and faster as experience has been gained.

Vellajo produce very good paints. But the problems common to acrylic through an airbrush tend to hinder learning. Since I switched to Tamiya and alcohol, my production rates have increased markedly.
"You used up all the glue...............ON PURPOSE!" - Darren McGavin

Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

these are some interesting opinions, thaks for sharing :)
John Everett wrote: Paint effects have become easier and faster as experience has been gained.

Vellajo produce very good paints. But the problems common to acrylic through an airbrush tend to hinder learning. Since I switched to Tamiya and alcohol, my production rates have increased markedly.
Well, that's my thoughts exactly. I'm strictly a learning by doing type. I could read a 100 step by step instructions, it'll only master it after trying it myself often enough.
Yngve Sjodin wrote:I think I like the whole process really,,and always get a bit post-build depressive when a project is done:D
Funny, I'm always happy when there's a box less on the pile :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

For me, it has to be the painting. :D The building part is more or less a means to an end. Right now I'm happy to build something OOB even if it isn't accurate. I get a lot of enjoyment from trying new techniques and seeing what effects I can get, even when I muck up on something. Pity I can't buy unpainted assembled kits :lol:

Cheers,
Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Vincent Power wrote:For me, it has to be the painting. :D The building part is more or less a means to an end. Right now I'm happy to build something OOB even if it isn't accurate. I get a lot of enjoyment from trying new techniques and seeing what effects I can get, even when I muck up on something. Pity I can't buy unpainted assembled kits :lol:

Cheers,
Vincent
Ask Gary for some of his, since I've joined this forum he's built four kits, none have been painted yet :D
Last edited by Adam Durrant on 16 Jul 2016, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Good morning chaps :P

Good topic Philipp.

For me, i enjoy the cutting of plastic and the construction of the kit. I enjoy the challenge of test fitting and getting the best fit and alignment possible between parts.

Painting for me is always a chore. I hate clean up and maintenance of airbrushes.

One step i really do enjoy is the decal applying process. For me, adding markings is that moment when the kit starts to come to life. Everything starts to look awesome at that stage. That's a real colourbond roof moment :lol: Unfortunately for me, that stage that i enjoy the most can only happen after i get through the stage i hate the most :roll:

And then comes weathering, but that's a whole other topic...............
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!