New site ideas

Anything relating to the site itself is posted here - announcements, changes, feedback etc.
Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Re: New site ideas

Post by Gary Boxall »

Hi Rob

I'm planning on allocating a separate page on the website to each member to submits a feature. I haven't worked it out fully yet, but probably a list of names on the Features page of contributors. You would then click on the name to go to their feature page.

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Already done Rob. The features section on the main page will have a list of members who have submitted a build which is featured. Simply click on the thumbnail relevant to their name and you will go to their page. Each page will have the members name in the URL. For example:
http://www.plasticarmour.com/gary_boxall.html
http://www.plasticarmour.com/john_everett.html

So get those pics submitted chaps :D

Gary

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Good idea adding a donation button. I just tested it :lol:

Are you going to keep the forum hidden for non-registered users? As much as I like the concept of privacy, I think it might attract a few more people if they can see what we are doing. :) Also, I'm often browsing the site from my sorry old phone and logging in from there is often a little...challenging :? :lol:

But most of all, you have my infinite thanks for your great work Gary - you're a true hero to all of us 8-)

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Post by John Everett »

Rob Matthews wrote:Gary et al

Would there be merit in us having a profile/portfolio section?

Do we feel that the past is the past and work featured here reflects work DONE here?
Interested to hear your thoughts

Rob
It looks like Gary is indeed incorporating this great idea into the new site. Most of us " regulars" had a huge quantity of very good finished work published on MA and I would love to see much of it moved to the new place.

In fact, I tend to think that such a page would be a primary focus for newcomers. If I was just lurking in the shadows and wanted to get back into the hobby, a comprehensive and easy to navigate collection of finished work would be where I would want to go. It would help a newcomer greatly if they could associate a name and a face to a collection of work.

But I also think that that such a collection should be the sole domain for models which have been seen as part of a photo feature. I would want to avoid a situation where very talented builders simply dump their work on the Finished Models section but then don't hang around or add their contributions to the site.
"You used up all the glue...............ON PURPOSE!" - Darren McGavin

Completed Campaigns:

Raoul Kunz
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Raoul Kunz »

I'd say: yes, we should have a portfolio that reflects what has been done on MA.
...of course I'm a history teacher (in the making ;) ) and so automatically will jump to the defense of any measure that shouts "history!, continuity!, tradition!" :lol: .

Seriously: it should be there, especially with some of the work several members here had posted on MA being supremely glorious stuff, at the very least award worthy.
It would also cement the great thing about MA and now PA: there is access to top-level modellers on collegial level and they are always ready to help or suggest improvements.
I can hardly summarise the tricks and skills I've learned here because of this :D .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Gary Boxall wrote:Okay, website is starting to (slowly) take shape. I've created a Features section so if you have any old features you'd like to submit.... Please limit to a maximum of 16 images and approx 1024 x 780. This will be open to members only who have contributed at least 10 (non spam) posts on the forum. Final decision on publishing rests with the Management Team.

Gary
Now I see the 16 images max. Sorry Gary. :o I think I sent about 25 in each one. ;) Well it saved me some time deciding what to send you. :twisted:

I will do better in the future.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

:lol: Don't worry Shawn - better than too few :D

Gary

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Now it may be there and I just can't find it but is there a way to get from the forums back to the Main Page?

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

There isn't a link yet Shawn. I'm looking at some options but also need to take into account my limited knowledge :oops: I'd ideally like the same or similar header on the forum pages that is on the main site. We'll get there, but it may take a little longer than one of my builds :lol:

Gary

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Sooooo......it should be sorted in a week or so? :P
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!