Shaun the Sheep?

Anything relating to the site itself is posted here - announcements, changes, feedback etc.
Mark Rethoret

Shaun the Sheep?

Post by Mark Rethoret »

Really??

Steve Reid
Senior Moderator

Re: Shaun the Sheep?

Post by Steve Reid »

Hey Mark-
I had no idea the sheep had a name. There is a story behind it that apparently pre-dates your time on MA.

One of the earliest members of MA was a guy named Darren Bryce- known to all as Daz.

Daz was a super helpfu,l friendly, funny guy. He dove right into the forum and was a great help to everyone- without being intrusive or obnoxious. He was a joy to spend (virtual) time with.

Matt Parvis and some of the other guys teased Daz that ,being from New Zealand, there were more sheep than people! The Sheep graphic became synonymous with Daz!

He had a tough personal life and in his early 40's it became too much for him and he took his own life. It was the first time I had lost a friend - that I had never met in person.
Many of the other forum members were similarly affected by his loss.

Vinnie wanted to have a "Daz Memorial" award and the donations sent in probably would have stocked a model shop. In fact, the donations grew into such a large pile that shipping the award- anywhere- would have been totally impractical. When Vinnie re-emerges we'll try to take that up again.

While we were on Facebook- I tried to include something in the banner that would remind us of Daz! Many people suggested the Sheep Graphic. We all knew that occasionally someone would ask- "What is with the sheep?" and it would give us the opportunity to remember Daz, and talk about our old buddy! :-)

So there it is- :-)

Oh- on the MA forum the name of the person who started a topic never went away. Darren Bryce Started the "Latest Acquisitions" thread - hence the topic "DB Latest Acquisitions" on this forum as well.

Steve

John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Re: Shaun the Sheep?

Post by John Everett »

My kids watch this show. It's not bad as children programming goes. I do worry that Shaun's owners, Aardman.com might take issue with the image. We're pretty small and could hide off the radar for a long time. But if the lawyers ever get serious about it, it could be costly.

.................I could sculpt a sheep? Any graphic artists want to submit drawings?
"You used up all the glue...............ON PURPOSE!" - Darren McGavin

Completed Campaigns: