Thanks for nothing, Photobucket

Anything relating to the site itself is posted here - announcements, changes, feedback etc.
Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Thanks for nothing, Photobucket

Post by Philipp Gross »

So, it seems the folks at Photobucket finally lost their last vestige of sanity and decided to screw you over if you dare use their service for its intended purpose without paying an unholy sum of money first.

I've heard nothing but bad news from this company, so I highly recommend looking for an alternative. Imgur seems nice enough, they do offer easy to use photo hosting, besides all the internet humour on the frontpage.

As a consequence of the Photobucket messup, most of the campaign medals hosted by Gary are currently replaced by a lovely ransom note. I'll try to recover all the images and host them somewhere else. The fun part will be to replace all the image links for your signatures...

The whole mess as of june 25:

Philipp :evil:
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Thanks for nothing, Photobucket

Post by Gary Boxall »

Agreed. Not at all impressed by them. I liken it to a 'legal' form of ransomware :evil:

Not sure what to do about this TBH. Sure, I cxan use another hosting site, but all the images to date will not be viewable. :|

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Pricing: The cost of a PLUS account varies according to how much storage you need! Please note, all subscriptions are billed annually.
2 GB - Free
Ad Free (no additional storage or bandwidth) - $2.49 / Month
50 GB - $59.99 / Year
100 GB - $99.99 / Year
500 GB - $399.99 / Year
When you upgrade to PLUS:
Premium Support. You have direct access to our tech support team. Email our PLUS Support Team 
Storage. You get more space for your media.
Bandwidth: Bandwidth is a measure of the resources needed to display your media outside of Photobucket (example: images linked to your blog).
Plus 50 offers 50GB of Storage and No Linking or 3rd Party Hosting
Plus 100 offers 100GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking and No 3rd Party Hosting
Plus 500 offers 500GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking and Unlimited 3rd Party Hosting
Looks like paying US$400 a year is the only way to get your photos unlocked :shock:
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Yeah.....THANKS FOR NOTHING!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I have been using Imgur too for the last month or so and it does the job nicely.
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Imgur seems to be the website of choice right now. Uploading and organizing photos is so much easier and faster there! It also seems like they provide unlimited storage and bandwidth, probably because all the community content on the front page creates enough ad revenue.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Mark Aldrich
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Mark Aldrich »

I uploaded the finished M109A2 Rochev pics in IMGUR. I will state that you should NOT post them to the gallery. Once posted to the gallery, you are not able to add to the pictures and have to restart. That was what I had to do with the close up shots I did. Other than that, it works like a charm. Really sad as I have so many unfinished gallerys in PB that I will need to finish in IMGUR. That's OK though.
Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War
TreadHead is NOT an ugly word

Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

If you click "post to gallery" you make them public for everyone to see on Imgur. You don't need to do that for photos you want to share in forums. You can also create albums and set them to public, private or hidden. Private albums can be viewed by everyone who has the link, hidden only by you.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

This photo bucket thing really sucks and I refuse to pay $400 a year. I will give up posting builds before I will pay that fee. Anyways I see you guys are talking about IMGUR. IMGUR also says they do not allow 3rd party hosting, so it wont be long until that is not an option. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

I guess the only "safe" option would be to buy some webspace and host the photos via FTP upload. Some companies offer free webspace up to a certain file size and traffic limit. In the meantime Flickr would be an option, but with the whole Yahoo sellout business going on I wouldn't count on it being a solution for eternity. There's also Google Photos, but I'm not sure if they allow embedding the photos elsewhere.

Philip
Completed Campaigns: