NZ Camo

Anything that is in current active service.
Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

NZ Camo

Post by Adam Durrant »

For the 70s speed build thinking of the 1973 Tamiya Walker Bulldog kit. NZ used these so was thinking of NZ Camo paint scheme. This is;
NATO Black
White
"Brickish" brown/red
Yellowish green

The black and white are fine, anyone have any experience mixing the other two colors? The green looks like a blend of zinc chromate yellow and cockpit interior green. By the time I as in the Army NZ only had the Scorpions and M113s and was transitioning to the LAV. By that stage the brown had faded almost to a pink hue & the green had faded almost to a tan color.

Anyone know a link?
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: NZ Camo

Post by Philipp Gross »

It's probably not much help, but here are a few nice pictures of the NZ scheme. Looks quite fanciful ;)

http://www.rctankregiment.com/rctankfor ... hp?p=23810

If you're using Tamiya, their standard brown is a fairly reddish hue. Maybe add a few drops of white. As for the other, maybe dark yellow with a few drops of olive drab?

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

The more I look into it the more I realize there is huge latitude here. The paint obviously faded and a bit of weathering should blur things a bit!
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Hi Adam

Vallejo Model Air Sandy Brown 71034 is a very close match for the brown shade.

And Nice Camo scheme BTW :D

HTH

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Thanks for the help guys. Would love to build a bit of NZ armour and have an AFV Club Scorpion in the stash. I think the Bulldog in the retro build will be generic American now, don't have the time to add NZ Army features.
Completed Campaigns:

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Hi Adam

Any good? This is the M113 at MOTAT....

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Thanks Gary, I have some pics from my Army days but they have faded a lot! It's that green I'm trying to match. I've got an AFV club scorpion in the stash just waiting for me to man up and try to make an NZ one. Was inspired by the one in Modelair. :D
Completed Campaigns:

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

A bit late on this, and you have probably found what you are looking for Adam, but did the NZ Army use standard NATO colours, or did they use there own colour system? Is this just a copy of the US MERDEC schemes?

As to precise colour shades, don't be concerned with getting that exact on well worn vehicles that have been in service for a while. You can put half a dozen similar type vehicles together and not one of them will be precisely the same shade. Age and weathering and its effect on paint is a whole other topic of its own though :P

Gary, great photos of the M113, love the shots of the muddy tracks! Brilliant reference 8-)
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Justin Wooding wrote:A bit late on this, and you have probably found what you are looking for Adam, but did the NZ Army use standard NATO colours, or did they use there own colour system? Is this just a copy of the US MERDEC schemes?

As to precise colour shades, don't be concerned with getting that exact on well worn vehicles that have been in service for a while. You can put half a dozen similar type vehicles together and not one of them will be precisely the same shade. Age and weathering and its effect on paint is a whole other topic of its own though :P

Gary, great photos of the M113, love the shots of the muddy tracks! Brilliant reference 8-)
NZ came up with its own "Waiouru" scheme. It was done to blend with the tussock desert of our two largest training areas, Waiouru and Tekapo. When they were deployed to Timour most got a coat of a Desert Tan type colour (how do I know, well, I spent a pretty miserable afternoon on "fatigues" helping to apply it and throwing handfuls of sand on the coat on the top surfaces for grip!) :D
Completed Campaigns:

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Seriously NICE camo :D :D

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage