ICM/Revell 1/72 Type XXVIIB U-boat - "Seehund"

Anything that floats.
Rob Matthews

ICM/Revell 1/72 Type XXVIIB U-boat - "Seehund"

Post by Rob Matthews »

The real pain with modelling is how long that builds take - especially for AFVs.
Reference the number of Blogs webwide that never get finished :?

Sometimes you just need some quick gratification. I feel a certain amount of guilt with the GB ongoing but I'll get there......
So - for a weeks holiday I couldn't resist the temptation of a quick build....

These late war 2 man "midget submarines" despite their diminutive size were accorded "U-boat" status by the Kriegsmarine. 285 were eventually built numbered from U-5501 to U-6442.

They sank 9 merchant vessels (93,000 tons!) with the active loss of 35 mostly due to bad weather. With a surface speed of 5.5 knots increasing to 6.9 kn submerged and an ability to dive to at least 45 m they were extraordinarily hard to detect by ASDIC or hydrophone. They carried 2 G7e topredoes. Several are preserved as museum pieces

The ICM kit comes in 2 boxes - depicting "early" and "late" versions. Though in truth both kits contain exactly the same sprue and differ only in decals/colour schemes.

The instructions are clear simple line drawn

The kit is really very simple with good fit. Others have criticised the oversized weld and rib detail. In 1/72 it's fine by me

The stand is neat and fits without bother

With a single sprue I did say that it promised simple :)

There are 2 detailing sets by NH Detail

However I had trouble getting the etch top deck to fit so proceeded with the plastic

Which fitted very snugly :P

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Rod Dumouchel

Re: ICM/Revell 1/72 Type XXVIIB U-boat - "Seehund"

Post by Rod Dumouchel »

That's an intersting looking little kit. Strange that the photo etch did not fit. What kind of operational range would these have had, given there small size and slow speed would not think it would be great. Don't know if I would to be out of sight of land in that little tub.

Regards,

Rod

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Nice choice and build Rob! I guess you can put one of these together in a day and a half?

Ohhh the temptation... :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Thanks Rod and Philipp :)

@Philipp - not quite a day and a half but close ;)

@Rod - range is quoted as 300km at 7kn surfaced and 63 miles at 3kn submerged. The later versions had saddle tanks (we'll come to this :geek: ) which these figures apply to. And you are absolutely right - I've just got back from 4 days sailing in the English channel on a 11m sailing boat, the weather was atrocious, and at times like this my admiration for the crews of all navies who fought each other and the weather is just enormous. And by the way, one of the highlights was seeing this boat that I'd been looking out for!..........

"Medusa" - a wartime Harbour Defence Motor launch, fabulously restored. Designed to protect harbours and home coastal defence, these became "do it all" jack of all trade vessels thoroughly unglamorous unlike their MTB/MGB cousins but hugely valuable.

Check out http://www.hmsmedusa.org.uk/ for more information. I intend to build one of these sooner or later (when they all stop bothering me about AFVs :roll: ;) )

Anyway back to the Seehund. The G7e torpedoes are not overly detailed but adequate

And then I got to thinking...............it was a Quick build so it seemed rude not to.......................

This is the SAME sprue exactly but with different decals and Revell style instructions.

So I decided to build the late version from the Revell box.
As far as I can ascertain the differences include the following:

1) Saddle tanks attached to increase range mid hull
2) Different rudder steering gear consisting of vertical vanes
3) A raised observation station within the raised "tower" section

Construction is almost identical though to fit the saddle tanks you will need to shave the ribs marked with the black ink

NH Detail proved etched vanes for the different steering gear, and with a nice touch provide 2 different types. I elected to use the kit plastic cross-beams....

The plastic offering is very acceptable though the etched is clearly closer to scale

So this second kit allowed ne a second chance at fitting the etched tower decking which is more detailed than the plastic. The solution for it to fit is to shave approximately 0.5mm off the back 2/3 of the tower. There is white filler strip in the pic as I shaved a little bit too much off the port side

You arrive at this :D

Bronco do this sub in 1/35 scale and they do a clear conning tower conical transparency. ICM/Revell do not which is a shame. It's a key feature. I thought of clear plastic cupboard door stops ,,,,,

But....cutting them to fit was impractical. I tried moulding some domes from clear plastic sheet and failed miserably and then after sifting through the spares box - had a moment of clarity :roll:

Joy unbounded :P These are the answer. Let the whole web know :lol:

I think the dome/hatch will be open on this vessel so the dome-tube is drilled out and that just about completes the build

So to a brace of Seehunds, one early (no saddle tanks/conical steering kit) and one late (Saddle tankes with steering vanes)

Thanks for looking

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

These two look fantastic.

I just noticed that the 1/35 Bronco kit isn't that expensive either...... :shock: :? :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Hi Rob,

Your two Seehund mini subs look nice 8-) You're really steaming ahead with your maritime subjects, i like it :)

I just received yesterday the Bronco 1/35 Seehund and it's a nice kit. Not much more complicated than your 1/72 kits really. I got it to sit with my Bronco 1/35 U-Boat :ugeek:
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Ian Shumsky

Post by Ian Shumsky »

Looking good Rob! A nice diversion from the real modelling ;)
My sedentary pursuits http://www.outerarm.co.uk

Shawn Ramsey
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

A nice looking pair of twins there Rob. :D

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Nice quick build Rob and a very interesting subject too. ;)

Cheers,
Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

I agree...and the 1st anniversary of the last post might be a good opportunity for an update? :lol:

Philipp

PS: I made a couple photos of the Seehund at Brest fortress this summer. Let me know if you're interested. :)
Completed Campaigns: