Airfix Vosper 73 ft MTB

Anything that floats.
Rob Matthews

Re: Airfix Vosper 73 ft MTB

Post by Rob Matthews »

Hi Shawn - Thanks for looking in and good to have you aboard.

As for Photobucket - you can register using your Facebook username and password. It's painless and really similar to uploading to the old MA gallery.
I'm using 1024 x 768 and it is just a whole lot better than the "attachments".

Don't despair - once this Vosper (and LCVP) are finished it's back to the Sd.Kfz.6 ;)

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Post by John Everett »

Sorry you've had so much trouble with the build. :evil: But the progress pictures look quite nice. And the paintwork turned out very well. That shop of yours sure it tidy, almost like a surgical theater. ;)
"You used up all the glue...............ON PURPOSE!" - Darren McGavin

Completed Campaigns:

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Thanks John :)

As Team Sky state - success comes with small marginal gains. Coastal Craft models now do decals specific to different types of MTB or MGB. The decals for the 73ft boats are a HUGE improvement on the aged kit decals.

Weathering commences with oils.

The aim is well worn without rust. I opted for "Black smoke" oils rather than sprayed acrylic for the exhausts. I scrub the oils with the brush virtually dry without white spirit. "Faded grey" oils and "Industrial earth" were used on the deck.

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Post by Vlad Seabrook-Smith »

Looking good! The weathering on the hulls side looks very very good!

*shelves schnellboot*
Last edited by Vlad Seabrook-Smith on 19 Aug 2014, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
Completed Campaigns:

Rod Dumouchel

Post by Rod Dumouchel »

Nice Rob,

Don't know how you and others work in this scale, I have a hard enough time with 1/35th scale.

Regards,

Rod

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Hi Rob,

Looking great! Another example of an old and very average kit, that with patience and care, and a few minor replacement parts can turn into a great model.

Really like those 20mm replacement guns!

Also love the camoflauge scheme. I could see how this would confuse a potential enemy trying to gauge size of vessel and speed. Some of the naval camoflauge and dazzle schemes were quite fascinating. Incredibly effective as well as spectacular!
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Well at long last- this build is completed. The box has sat around for at least the last 20 years. The Arrival of Coastal Craft Models and their excellent set of accessories for 1/72 MTBs and MGBs finally prompted me to build the boat.

It's testament to the continued appeal of this kit that I'm not alone - several builds are currently in progress across the web. Not bad for a kit released nearly 40 yrs ago :?

So here's some taster finish shots with a Feature going to Gary if he feels they fit the site.

The basic hull and superstructure for this vintage Airfix kit are basically sound. The fitments especially the weapons are most certainly not :(

The Coastal Craft weapons transform the kit. My only real regret is not having replaced the aft steps with wire rungs that were used on the original. I noticed this on original pics (of which there aren't many) well into the build. The twin oerlikon rail remains oversized despite extensive sanding. Coastal craft do a complete bandstand and once again I was too far into the build to incorporate this - if I built again I most definitely would. However the Coastal Craft 20mm Oerlikon is a thing of beauty and really does enhance the forward deck. This remains the signature/crux feature of these 73 foot MTBs.

Check out Coastal Craft Models at http://www.coastalcraftmodelsuk.com/index.php

There'll be a British Power Boat MGB blogged here soon :D

So here's a list of their accessories used:

CCA 72001 Boat Hooks
CCA 72002 Carley Floats
CCA 72004 Twin Oerlikon
CCA 72006 Ready Ammunition lockers type 1
CCA 72022 Lifebelt set
CCA 72025 Rocket Flare launcher set
CCA 72026 Radar and IFF set
CCA 72027 Vickers gun set
CCA 72028 Coastal Forces stanchion set
CCD 72003 Vosper 73 ft type decal set

All hull and deck paints were from the AKAN range of acrylic RN coastal craft colours supplied by Coastal Craft Models. See my review of this range on this site http://www.plasticarmour.com/phpBB3/vie ... f=12&t=236

Rigging was fine elastic filament from Uschi van der Rosten http://www.uschivdr.com/ available in UK from http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/

Weathering was conventional AFV-style using washes from Mig Ammo and oils from Mig productions.

References

British Motor Torpedo Boat 1938-45, Konstam & Bryan - New Vanguard Osprey

Vosper MTBs in action, Garth Connelly T. - Warships Number 13 - Squadron/Signal Publications

British Coastal Forces of World War II, Kemp P. ISO Publications

DVD - A History of the Royal Navy's Coastal Forces - Rostand Publications

Web

http://www.coastal-forces.org.uk/ Coastal Forces Heritage Trust

Summary

A classic Airfix kit with acceptable hull and superstructure that with the addition of modern update sets will build into a very acceptable representation of this iconic late war MTB. Coastal Craft Models provide a wide range of MTB/MGBs in resin/mixed media presentation and supply an extensive range of weapon and accessory sets that lend themselves to detailing older models such as this. Dedicated acrylics paints representing authentic RN coastal forces colours add to the ease of modelling.

I only wish that Airfix in their new revamped form would consider revisiting 1/72 maritime subjects! In the meantime if you haven't you really need to check out the offerings from Coastal Craft Models, the models are pricey but well worth it in terms of quality and exclusivity :)
Signing this Build off......

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:

Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Very nice one Rob ;)

Though it is a floaty thing, it really is very well done, a real cracker.

And she is still a great build for 40 years old :roll:

Very nice one, again, Rob ;)

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Post by Vlad Seabrook-Smith »

An excellent finish Rob, wondered why you had gawn quiet :lol:

The rigging really signs off the build doesn't it, certainly did with my S'boot!
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Simply beautiful! :D Now grab something with 6 wheels and join us at the group-building dark side :lol:

Philipp (way too terrified to build floaty stuff)
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage