Airfix Vosper 73 ft MTB

Anything that floats.
Rob Matthews

Airfix Vosper 73 ft MTB

Post by Rob Matthews »

This is a vintage kit released back in the 70's.
I began the build on Model Armour.

The goals were 2-fold; to build up experience using "amour" weathering techniques on a marine model and to try out recent update sets from http://www.coastalcraftmodelsuk.com/. The airfix weapons and fittings show their age :|

This is all leading up to building and doing justice to this little beauty from Coastal craft models...

It's a resin/multimedia offering and not cheap :?

The Airfix ASR Launch built in similar spirit turned out better than anticipated

So here's a quick summary of progress to date. Basic hull shape and fit is generally good

The front "bandstand" for the twin 20mm Oerlikons is the crux feature on this boat and sadly it's the kit's biggest weakness. The role is hugely overscale and the gun is unuseable. A large amount of time and effort went into sanding down the guardrail :roll: :roll:

Rob
Last edited by Rob Matthews on 15 May 2016, 15:43, edited 2 times in total.
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Rob Matthews

Re: Airfix Vosper 73 ft MTB

Post by Rob Matthews »

Every single part from the Airfix kit needs sanding and extensive work. The Airfix ASR was positively refined in comparison. But as they say, it's the only kit in town so shut up and put op ;) . Coastal Craft Models do replacement Torpedo tubes but I was keen to keep the cost down so persevered with the originals.

The 20mm Oerlikon was most definitely replaced using a Coastal Craft Models kit

The pedestal was too high which necessitated drilling a hole through the "bandstand" and filing down the top of the pedestal mount

It's an 100% improvement on the kit offering 8-)

The 20mm ammo lockers were also replaced by Coastal Craft Model replacements

Thanks for looking

Rob
Last edited by Rob Matthews on 31 Jul 2014, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Naval colours during WWII seem to cause as much angst as "Dunkelgelb" or "olive drab".

Most model MTBs on the web feature various shades of grey. Wheras it is highly likely that in reality many were painted Admiralty G45 which is a stone colour.

There a few excellent references collating original colours with Vallejo equivalents

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=117190

http://www.ipmsswamp.com/files/VallejoW ... alents.pdf

http://corvettek225.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... ar-ii.html

Coastal Craft Models have made the process considerably easier by having a dedicated set produced by AKAH or AKAN who a re Finnish manufacturer of acrylic paints.

http://www.coastalcraftmodelsuk.com/akan_paints.php

In addition to Royal Navy WWII colours they do an extensive range for Modern Soviet and historical aviation and AFV subjects.

With the deck fittings having been sprayed G45 and masked, the deck colour "507A" is applied. This is much darker than you would imagine and whilst most modellers have traditionally gone for a much lighter colour, after having looked at all the available wartime colours I'm happy that this is a realistic match

The hull is in The RN white which is a slightly creamy white colour versus pure white
I'll formally review Akan paints at build end

Rob

(And I've switched to Photobucket instead of uploading straight from my PC as "attachments which give those awful "scroll" images in the first 2 threads - Apologies!)
Last edited by Rob Matthews on 02 Aug 2014, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Nice work Rob! Certainly something different :) I'm still too terrified of a kit where I can't hide potential mistakes with mud :lol:

The attached pictures can be brought to full size by clicking on them. It took me a while to find out :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Thanks Philipp - I've done what you guys do and signed up with Photobucket - I've gone back and redone the images - they were driving me nuts :roll:

Kits like this remind me what a revelation Dragon kits were when I first dicovered them :lol:

Thanks for looking

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Nice work Rob. Great to see something a little different here :D

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Post by Vlad Seabrook-Smith »

Count me in Rob :D

I'm liking the look of the paints, much prefer the idea of acrylics than white ensigns enamels, so what are they like? have you broke into them yet?
Completed Campaigns:

Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Nice work Rob

Very nice upgrades too, you really can turn your hand to anything, from tracks to the surf ;)

Nice to see this oldie getting an upgrade

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Gary, Vlad, Steve - Thanks Fellas.

Vlad - I am broadly pleased with the colours thought the paints do not spray as well as Vallejo Model Air or Mig Ammo. They have a consistency more akin with Lifecolor but dry to a more satin finish.
They need diluting more than the 5-10% suggested. I'm using more like 20% with de-ionised water and a touch of Vallejo airbrush cleaner to break surface tension.
I just cant go back to enamels - smell and drying time :?

Here's the evidence.................

The torpedo tubes were masked and painted. It's not clear but there is a layer of white beneath the stone G45.

I'm going with weathering using "Interior" wash which is less dark than the normal AFV washes

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Rob- The paint looks oh so good. If I start building ships I will hunt you and Vlad down(to share a cold one of course). :lol:

I have to figure out how to use photo bucket. Like you the pics are driving me up the wall. :o

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage