British Power Boat Company 63 ft boats

Anything that floats.
Rob Matthews

British Power Boat Company 63 ft boats

Post by Rob Matthews »

When I first returned to modelling about 10 yrs ago - my initial interest was in boats. Researching modelling techniques I stumbled across the Military Modelling site and got swept up by Vinnie and AFVs which I have thoroughly enjoyed since. However the siren call of the boats remains, especially smaller coastal craft.

I attempted the Airfix RAF Rescue Launch which some may remember from Model Armour (RIP)

I was pleased with the rigging (which was a first) but looking back the glaring omissions are the deckrails which come moulded "Shut" and the Turret "infills" which should be wire/rail, grate dreadfully.

So - it's a second go - hopefully using some of the techniques I've picked up along the way but inaddition - I'm going to have a go at building some of the other types that shared this 63 ft "Whaleback" hull.

The off the shelf items available from Martin at http://www.coastalcraftmodelsuk.com/ are invaluable.

And so is this book just published by Mark Smith....

The first volume dealt with Vosper MTBs and this deals with BPBCo powerboats - Happy Days :D :D

There are colour profiles within for the small number of designs that used the common hull which I haven't copied here but here are a couple of diagrams and pics that DO not hail from the book...

MGB 40 with a turret holding twin Vickers and .....

MGB 43 with side twin turrets,and there are also MA/SB Motor Anti-Submarine Boats that had the superstructure moved aft ...

And of course there are the truly iconic RAF ASR Rescue Launches, of which Boat 122 is likely to be built at some stage

So all in all plenty to model, using this 37 yr old kit as a starter..

The intention is to run this Blog in the background building alongside some Armour subjects.

I'm fascinated to see that my Vosper 73 ft Blog, short as it was has attracted 1400 hits. Hopefully bringing people to the site who might not otherwise have looked in :)

Rob
Last edited by Rob Matthews on 15 May 2016, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Rob Matthews

Re: British Power Boat Company 63 ft boats

Post by Rob Matthews »

I've kicked off with the intention to model MGB 40 - a boat originally built destined to got to the Royal Norwegian Navy but was requisitioned o become an MA/SB before being converted to an MGB. I'm in the debt of Dave Cov from the Airfix Tribute Forum who has paved the way with his logical construction steps....

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.o ... 127&t=4665

MGB 40 had the raised centre dual Vickers machine gun turret.

In this profile its pennant number is S2 which was what it wore after it was passed over to the Polish Navy later in the war.

However before we get there, I needed to come up with a solution for the deckrails that 37 yrs ago Airfix moulded closed.

This pic demonstrates just how noticeable and idiosyncratic they are. It's been rare to see them depicted in model form.

The second pic also illustrates that the "tubs" that Aifix supply to sit the rotating glass machine gun turrets were a huge compromise and that the original arrangement was a railed affair. The third huge shortcoming in the Airfix kit is the moulded on rear scramble nets that this picture shows in real operation.

But - to begin at the beginning, I've found that the most practical way to deal with the perfectly adequate hull mounts is to glue some Plastic girders that keeps a uniform length and creates a stable cradle

The deckrails are problematic. After considering removing them altogether and replacing them with some "built affairs as I've seen done, the less onerous option seemed to be to "cut out" the supports using scalpel and chisel. Mild labourious but at least you keep the curved line :|

I then placed some Plastruct Half curved 0.8mm diam rod along the "tops of the supports having gently filed them slightly lower than the beginning and end sections.

In the second pic following you can see that it actually seems to work and is probably the least labour intensive way to capture the original appearance. This pic also shows the Scramble nets have been chiselled away and filled - filling was not easy despite me underlaying with plasticard. I used Mr Hobby putty and struggled (thus the thread as to which putty you all use)

The end moulded sections bits were gently filed to round the edges off

While all this was going on or drying I set about the superstructure which is shorter on MG 40 than the RAF rescue version. Dave Cov lead the way.

I'll be using a Coastal Craft Models Turret tub...

MG 40 had an open cockpit behind the wheelhouse and in addition had windows set higher than the RAF launch :( :roll:

So a square hole was created and the windows were "raised"...

The tub hole was cut using the "Lots of little holes" method :lol: :lol:

More soon

Thanks for looking (Vlad will be interested ;) )(I hope :? )

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Don't know about him, but I certainly am :mrgreen:

Nice start - looks like you have quite a bit of work ahead. I built a British torpedo boat about 20 years ago, and that's exactly all I know about these things :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Matt Parvis
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Matt Parvis »

Cool stuff Rob. It certainly does look like you've got all the info you need to get things right. I'll certainly be following along, I've go Italeri's Vosper in 35th in the stash.

Matt

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Post by Vlad Seabrook-Smith »

More interesting than my blogs are :D count me in :-)

I keep looking at these old airfix kits and have to slap myself! too many projects :oops: but they are sooooo nice :roll:
Completed Campaigns:

Matt Parvis
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Matt Parvis »

Vlad Seabrook-Smith wrote: too many projects :oops:
I hear you Vlad, I've stopped counting in years until I am likely to get to some projects, now it is decades. :oops:

Matt

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Matt Parvis wrote:
Vlad Seabrook-Smith wrote: too many projects :oops:
I hear you Vlad, I've stopped counting in years until I am likely to get to some projects, now it is decades. :oops:

Matt
I resemble that remark :|

Thanks for looking in Gents. There's a really good model trying to get out in this Airfix kit (I think :? )

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:

Chris Smith
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Chris Smith »

Looks like a lot of work, should be fun :D

Chris
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Damn you Rob. Stop tempting me with something other than armour. I will send you my bill for what it cost me because what you have started here. :lol: :lol:

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Even though my knowledge of boats would fit on a postage stamp, I'm enjoying watching you build this Rob. Really good stuff. :D

Cheers,
Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage