X-47B

Anything that flies
Raoul Kunz
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: X-47B

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Intriguing subject Ian... I personally find those things scary as hell, even without an AI :oops: ;) .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Jurgen Mares

Post by Jurgen Mares »

Great subject Ian.
I've been eying this kit out as well. Looking good so far.

Jurgs

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Agree with Jurgs and I like Woody's phrase "Mojo restorer" :lol:

Great looking vehicle - almost Sci-fi, hard to believe that it's nearly in production.

Great choice Ian and great to have you around again BTW :D :D

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Ian Shumsky

Post by Ian Shumsky »

Hi Raoul, Jurgs, Rob, thanks for looking in!

Finished the base construction of the landing gear, sans PE and wiring:

One of the small parts on the left landing strut wasn't formed properly, so a small length of stock styrene rod was used. One interesting part of the construction is that the smaller struts are not glued (at this stage) and just clip in. I think this is so that when you fix them into the wheel bays you can get the angles correct, rather than try and guess at this point of construction. Once I've added the remaining details I'll dry fit them to the lower fuselage and glue the strut joints to lock them in place.

With the landing gear struts almost out of the way, I moved on to Step 3, the wing construction. You start with the left wing assembly which is mostly formed from the following parts:

The fit is very nice and snug, though I did have to open up some of the locating holes on the wing to get a perfect fit. Liberal applications of glue on the mating surfaces, and a good deal of clamping, and the parts are nicely fixed

The shiny bit on the main wing is a small PE disk - the instructions suggest that it fits on the inside of the wing, but placing it on the outside gives more detail. Once the airbrake is on (the bit with the tape) you won't be able to see much anyway, so the more detail the better!. There are a series of brackets to go on the wing to hold the airbrake (so far only one is added). I want to show the model with the flags dropped slightly, so I've filled the various sides of the wing parts and will sand them off tonight.
My sedentary pursuits http://www.outerarm.co.uk

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Ian- Glad to see you diving right in. :D

Something a little and refreshing for the site. Nice progress so far.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage