A bird in a pretty dress

Anything that flies
Vlad Seabrook-Smith

A bird in a pretty dress

Post by Vlad Seabrook-Smith »

In the past I have made mention that I have an appreciation of WW1 stringbags, love the colour schemes! Even the allied planes carried such colourful markings that added such individuality.

So in between other projects I have been working on this one, I need to run round and touch up the paint work especially where the decal solution landed :roll: and sort a few little details........ then rigging!!!!

The one thing I have learnt very quickly is that these planes get harder the further towards finishing you are! how does that work :lol: :lol:

So please be gentle and offer any help or critique, tips or tricks

Oh and this is the first plane I have built since I was a kid!

So this is an Eduard 1/48th from their dual combo profipack and is a plane from Jasta (Jagdstaffel) 5, thoroughly enjoyed this as it open up a new challenge and the purdy dress is quite eye catching.
Completed Campaigns:

John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Re: A bird in a pretty dress

Post by John Everett »

Looks sharp! Best of luck in rigging.
"You used up all the glue...............ON PURPOSE!" - Darren McGavin

Completed Campaigns:

Jurgen Mares

Post by Jurgen Mares »

Looks great Vlad!
I've got a similar on that's been sitting around for nearly 12 months waiting for me to attempt the rigging.
Will be watching with great interest what you come up with.

BTW, these Eduard birds are so much fun aren't they. Awesome colour schemes available.

Jurgs

Matt Parvis
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Matt Parvis »

Nice work Vlad. The scheme on this one is certainly nice. The red edging around the tail looks good. How did you do it?

What method do you plan to use for the rigging?

Matt

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Hi Vlad,

Sensational! You're right about the old WW1 birds being so colourful, and you really picked a head turner with this one! Looking forward to seeing your rigging method.

I would like to do a DH.2 but i think that is the pinnacle of rigging projects :lol:
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Chris Smith
Senior Site Contributor.....
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Chris Smith »

Very pretty :D

Chris
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Dario Risso
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Dario Risso »

Looks great, Vlad, but...was plane is it? (sorry, they looks all the same to me: Albatros, Roland, LVG, etc) :oops:
The only "critique" I have is more a sugestion: perhaps some washes to separate the panels?

Darío
Last edited by Dario Risso on 27 Aug 2014, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Jurgen Mares wrote:Looks great Vlad!
I've got a similar on that's been sitting around for nearly 12 months waiting for me to attempt the rigging.
Will be watching with great interest what you come up with.

BTW, these Eduard birds are so much fun aren't they. Awesome colour schemes available.

Jurgs
Crack on then fella and lets see it!!! and agreed they are a lot of fun, have yet to see what Roden kits are like, may have to dip my toe and explore as they produce the Gotha bomber, albeit in 72nd.
Completed Campaigns:

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Matt Parvis wrote:Nice work Vlad. The scheme on this one is certainly nice. The red edging around the tail looks good. How did you do it?

What method do you plan to use for the rigging?

Matt
Thanks Matt, thought you might pop in :D

The red edging was done using the masks supplied in the kit, dual combo profipack, its the first time using them, well any mask really so a huge learning curve
Completed Campaigns:

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Thanks you all for the positive feedback :D very encouraging :D

@ Dario, its the Pfalz D.III, I'm still learning too, a plane is a plane is a plane :lol:

The question on everyone's lips seems to be how is the rigging to be dealt with!!!

Well I have fitted some eyelets into the wings, these are basically a loop formed out of twisted wire kinda lollypop shaped :) then for the wires I have some 0.12mm yes its uber fine and will just fit through the loops, so I'm hoping that I can thread and anchor with a spot of CA glue, then lead on to the next anchor point, looking at the rigging diagram it should be feasible to do a run non stop, almost like stitching.......

......... does that make sense?
Completed Campaigns: