A bird in a pretty dress

Anything that flies
Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: A bird in a pretty dress

Post by Philipp Gross »

Pretty bird indeed :)

I'd love to build some of these too.... but still terrified of fiddly little bits (as well as stash expansion in yet another direction), so I'll pass and see what you'll do with it instead :D

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Matt Parvis
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Matt Parvis »

Vlad, what you describe will work. I'd suggest getting hold of some EZ-Line to use though. It stretches really well and is pretty easy to work with. The best thing about it is that you can stretch it between eyelets and it will be perfectly straight. The stretch is also nice if you happen to put your finger into it as it will just stretch and then return to its original position without breaking. If you aren't in a huge rush, I can send you some. It doesn't take that much to do something this size so it should go fine in just a letter envelope.

Matt

Jurgen Mares

Post by Jurgen Mares »

Vlad Seabrook-Smith wrote:
Jurgen Mares wrote:Looks great Vlad!
I've got a similar on that's been sitting around for nearly 12 months waiting for me to attempt the rigging.
Will be watching with great interest what you come up with.

BTW, these Eduard birds are so much fun aren't they. Awesome colour schemes available.

Jurgs
Crack on then fella and lets see it!!! and agreed they are a lot of fun, have yet to see what Roden kits are like, may have to dip my toe and explore as they produce the Gotha bomber, albeit in 72nd.

Been sitting like this for ages because I have no idea of how to do the rigging.
Now just need to get some of that EZ-Line that Matt referred to.

Jurgs
Jurgs

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Post by Vlad Seabrook-Smith »

Philipp Gross wrote:Pretty bird indeed :)

I'd love to build some of these too.... but still terrified of fiddly little bits (as well as stash expansion in yet another direction), so I'll pass and see what you'll do with it instead :D

Philipp
Have a go Philipp, seriously they are not so bad, you just have to think in a different way, and its a great lesson in patience :lol: so those indie track links...... they ain't so bad now!!
Completed Campaigns:

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Matt Parvis wrote:Vlad, what you describe will work. I'd suggest getting hold of some EZ-Line to use though. It stretches really well and is pretty easy to work with. The best thing about it is that you can stretch it between eyelets and it will be perfectly straight. The stretch is also nice if you happen to put your finger into it as it will just stretch and then return to its original position without breaking. If you aren't in a huge rush, I can send you some. It doesn't take that much to do something this size so it should go fine in just a letter envelope.

Matt
I have already begun on this one Matt but thank you for the offer, I've heard a lot of this EZ-line, may have alternative applications too, such as ship rigging?
Completed Campaigns:

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Jurgen Mares wrote:
Vlad Seabrook-Smith wrote:
Jurgen Mares wrote:Looks great Vlad!
I've got a similar on that's been sitting around for nearly 12 months waiting for me to attempt the rigging.
Will be watching with great interest what you come up with.

BTW, these Eduard birds are so much fun aren't they. Awesome colour schemes available.

Jurgs
Crack on then fella and lets see it!!! and agreed they are a lot of fun, have yet to see what Roden kits are like, may have to dip my toe and explore as they produce the Gotha bomber, albeit in 72nd.

Been sitting like this for ages because I have no idea of how to do the rigging.
Now just need to get some of that EZ-Line that Matt referred to.

Jurgs
Jurgs
Now that's purdy, how did you do the wood effect? as it looks really effective, and possibly far cheaper than the woodgrain decals

And this is where I bought my eyelets from, yeah I know Matt, lazy should have made me own :lol: :lol:

http://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Bit late now though for using some thing like this on yours,(assuming your wings are fixed in place?) from all the reading I have done on building these, the best way is to locate the rigging anchors before the wings are fixed in place, then it should be a simple :lol: job of threading it through etc
Completed Campaigns:

Matt Parvis
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Matt Parvis »

Vlad, yeah it can be used as rigging for ships, I used it on my 1/350 Type VIIc and without it, there is no way I would have gotten the result I did. It was originally sold to be used as power lines for model railroad layouts so you could use it for that, but, you wouldn't get any sag so that might look weird in larger scales. The eyelets are pretty easy to make Vlad, but, getting tube cut neatly to be used on 32nd scale projects is not nearly so easy, which is why I bought some pre-cut tube from Bob's and therefore can't throw any stones about you not making the eyelets yourself. :D

Matt

Jurgen Mares

Post by Jurgen Mares »

Vlad Seabrook-Smith wrote:...how did you do the wood effect?
Base coated with Tamiya Acrylic (5 parts Flat White to 2 parts Buff).
Covered the surface with dots of oils. Burnt Umber, Yellow Orche and the odd White here and there.
Then using a sponge, just dragged the paint in the direction I wanted to the woodgrain to go.
Finally using an old brush, created some more heavy streaked graining here and there.

I also tried applying the oil paint with the sponge directly and that works well too.

The good thing is, if you don't like it, you can simply wipe and down and start again.

Jurgs

Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Hi Jurgen

That is a great recipe for wood grain, I will be bookmarking it for later use.

Thanks

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

I have a few wingy things in my stash - inc a couple of Eduard WW1 planes. One day..... and hopefully they'll come out as nice as these 8-)

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....