A bird in a pretty dress

Anything that flies
Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Re: A bird in a pretty dress

Post by Vlad Seabrook-Smith »

Jurgen Mares wrote:
Vlad Seabrook-Smith wrote:...how did you do the wood effect?
Base coated with Tamiya Acrylic (5 parts Flat White to 2 parts Buff).
Covered the surface with dots of oils. Burnt Umber, Yellow Orche and the odd White here and there.
Then using a sponge, just dragged the paint in the direction I wanted to the woodgrain to go.
Finally using an old brush, created some more heavy streaked graining here and there.

I also tried applying the oil paint with the sponge directly and that works well too.

The good thing is, if you don't like it, you can simply wipe and down and start again.

Jurgs
And very effective it is too, many thanks for sharing that, will give it a try when I have a relevant build :)
Completed Campaigns:

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Gary Boxall wrote:I have a few wingy things in my stash - inc a couple of Eduard WW1 planes. One day..... and hopefully they'll come out as nice as these 8-)

Gary
Everyone's grubby little secrets are being revealed now :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)

How about we put this up as a group build choice? there appears to be quite a few who are interested, having stuff squirrelled away in stashes etc and those yet to invest.........

Eduard for example have a huge range of choices from the very complex through to the easy weekend kit, a Fokker D.1 triplane for example is an easy rigger :D so for those who want to have a go but are intimidated there are choices out there, for the braver idiots like myself there is Rodens range of Gotha bombers :lol: (one day)

Also it would be a great homage to this years auspicious commemorations.......

Discuss......
Completed Campaigns:

Matt Parvis
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Matt Parvis »

I'm in for that Vlad. Behind armour, WWI aircraft make up the second largest segment of my stash.

You are right too, the Dr.I is a pretty easy way to go, very little rigging and no lozenge camo make it an easier option.

The Nieports are also good options for less challenging as the rigging is pretty straight forward and camo is simple as well.

The Roland C.II is also a good option, the rigging is pretty straight forward and with the way the wings attach they should be simpler than most bi-planes.

The British aircraft are a little easier in terms of camo, but, they have double flying wires so the rigging gets a bit more complex.

The Spad Vii and Xiii don't look too bad until you look a little closer at the rigging and what is involved, then you see that they are best avoided for a first project, or a tenth for that matter.

As you said, the 1/72 bombers that Roden does are near the top of the heap in terms of complexity with rigging, but, the pushers, F.E. 2 and DH.2 etc., are certainly nothing to sneeze at either. Of course, then there is this. :o :o :o :o :o

Matt

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

That's a cool link Matt and very very impressive.

So Zeppelin Stakken? :lol:
Completed Campaigns:

Matt Parvis
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Matt Parvis »

Yeah, I can't decide what takes more crazy, taking off the ground in the real one or building a scale model of one? :? :shock: :lol:

Matt

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Matt

I think I'd rather do the former of those two options :shock:

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Hi Vlad

I'm late to the party but LOVE it. Like Dario Jurggs and Matt - I could seriously get into WWI stuff and the Eduard offerings just look so tempting. Great Colour

You probably need to check this site out.....
http://www.uschivdr.com/

For decals and rigging. I've used the EZ line - (The RAF ASR Launch) and everything that Matt says is true though at very high magnification it is actually flat "tape". I haven't used the Uschi rigging yet which is finer but appears round.

http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/ This shop supplies it and delivery is excellent.

I had a hankering to do the Eduard DB V recently and did a bit of research. This site also caught my eye......

http://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/buy.html

I fear the time commitment to one of these aircraft :?

Brilliant work :D

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Rob Matthews wrote:Hi Vlad

I'm late to the party but LOVE it. Like Dario Jurggs and Matt - I could seriously get into WWI stuff and the Eduard offerings just look so tempting. Great Colour

You probably need to check this site out.....
http://www.uschivdr.com/

For decals and rigging. I've used the EZ line - (The RAF ASR Launch) and everything that Matt says is true though at very high magnification it is actually flat "tape". I haven't used the Uschi rigging yet which is finer but appears round.

http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/ This shop supplies it and delivery is excellent.

I had a hankering to do the Eduard DB V recently and did a bit of research. This site also caught my eye......

http://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/buy.html

I fear the time commitment to one of these aircraft :?

Brilliant work :D

Rob
Great to see you drop by Rob, I think I have a few more of these in me just yet :) have looked at the Ushi products and have no need of wood decals 'yet'.....
The rigging I have managed to do with fishing line as mentioned earlier, works well actually, way better than I first thought!

Bobs buckles, go back a page :lol: think I will need to visit him again!
Completed Campaigns:

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Oops - Sorry Dude :oops:

I was thinking of getting some of these to use on the Corvette

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

No problem Rob ;)

But I do agree and my thoughts were going in that direction too, very useful for anchoring (scuse the pun) nautical rigging, was considering the schnellboot you see! 0.3mm drill bit and a steady hand and the job is done! :lol:
Completed Campaigns: