Hello from the land where the Pasties roam

The place to introduce yourself and say hello to fellow members. Also information on registering.
Simon Hammerton

Re: Hello from the land where the Pasties roam

Post by Simon Hammerton »

Depending on where you buy them from, the Cornish Pasty is either a tasty traditional hot snack, or a weapon of war when thrown overarm. Your aim can be compromised depending on whether you have a left or a right-handed pasty.

That last bit is actually true BTW, you do get left and right-handed pasties depending on who made them.

Roaming pasties don't survive long in the wild sadly. Everything around here eats them, including foxes and badgers. They are becoming an endangered species.
You don't get to look like this through clean living.

Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Hi Simon

I have a Canon PowerShot A800, I tried to submit a Photo shoot of my Pz IA to MA just before it ended, but there were too many issues.
I used a mobile spray booth with a medium blue backing card background, overhead lighting but it just wasn't good enough.

I will recreate the setup this weekend and put some more shots on here, as I have my 2 other Pz I's ready to photo too.

It would be helpful if there is anything that is glaringly wrong, as I am not a photographer, its a point a click thing for me :roll:

I think the pasty is a distant relative of the wild haggis, they are very rare in the wild now too :lol:

Thanks for any help you might be able to give ;)

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Simon Hammerton

Hi Steve

I quickly googled your camera to get an overview of its features. It's very much a point-and-shoot device, but there are a few options we can play with.

Start by setting up a test shot using your chosen background and lighting. I see your camera has spot metering, this is the best to use when photographing models. Using spot metering, take a test shot in each of the different white balance settings to see which one is best, and write down the settings you want to keep.

Also try test shots in each of the shooting modes. Looking at the Canon blurb it's possible that the "foliage" setting may work best, but try each and note the most useful.

Select the lowest ISO setting - on most cameras this is ISO100 - which will give you the finest image quality available. This does however increase the risk of camera shake, so if you have a tripod (or any firm support), use it along with using the self-timer. The very action of pushing the shutter button can cause a picture to blur.

Steve Hutchinson

Thanks Simon,

Just in time as I am hoping to get my Pz IA command photo shoot done and submitted this weekend.

Many thanks and I'll let you know how it turns out.

regards

Steve H

Completed Campaigns:

Simon Hammerton

No Worries Steve.

The most useful piece of equipment in my camera bag is a notebook and pen. I record the settings, lighting, backgrounds, even the camera used if someone has asked me to use theirs.

Until recently I produced fused and stained glass, the set-up for that is radically different to the settings for this kind of stuff. If I'm asked to shoot jewellery for its creator, we're talking a totally different set of parameters again.

When not being used I leave my cameras in fully automatic mode, that way they're ready for that "grab-shot" you don't know is coming. But as soon as I need to do some WiP images, the data is in the little book.

Simon

Steve Hutchinson

Hi Simon

Sounds like my paint mixing book, looks like it will get flipped over to be used for camera settings too ;)

I have tried something's similar to what you have suggested and they did seem to be al little better, but it will be fun finding out :D

Thanks again

Steve H

Completed Campaigns: