WW1 '14-'16 fortification engineer's impressions - sketches

Anything up to 1939.
Raoul Kunz
Senior Site Contributor.....

WW1 '14-'16 fortification engineer's impressions - sketches

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Here's the sketches made by my great grandfather in 1914-1916 during his service as a fortification engineer on the Western Front and Eastern Front.
They came to me via my grand aunt (of whom I have a ton of documentation, including the "Arier-Nachweis" of the NSDAP-era and a ton of correspondence, some in Kurrent [the irritatingly flowing German late 19th century script...] ), once I've had the time to go through everything that's there I might encounter further items of general interest here and might make a list for those interested.

Some of the items here are primarily impressions quickly sketched, some are intended humorously and some are impressions of memorial markers found in the field and the zone immediately adjacent.
Of particular interest here might be some of the impressions on improvised field fortifications and some ironic comments on razor-wire-laying in no-man's land (the most dangerous thing short of artillery bombardment a fortifications engineer could encounter - here represented as "to roll a hoop - fortification engineer's style") as well as the occassional stab against logistics troops (drawing of a horse being cared for by a trooper labelled "the horse and the ass" ;) ).

Don't know if it will be actually useful to anyone, but at the very least it's a little bit of mood building for the upcoming '14-'18 build ;) .

(edit: I forgot to mention - all these sketches are executed on repurposed standard issue field post-cards)

=>

The note mentions that the items from the war are preceded by a drawing from school in 1908 (that's the big one) and some assorted school and work related items not shown here in any detail.
=>

The weird impressionistic bulbous things in a night sky of dashes are meant to be illumination flares.
=>

Assorted field fortifications, drainage culverts, firing positions (on display, if only cut off, here is the wicker construction of most German trenches) dugouts and blockhouses as well as the effect of shelling on the network of dirt roads in the sectors behind the front covered by enemy artillery.
=>

"Rolling hoops", camouflage for immediate rear area buildings, relaxation, slightly overstated fortifications engineer field load-out, taking a shower, a view of countryside yet unspoilt by the war.
=>

Field memorials from both the Great War and the Wars of Unification caught in the immediate rear and sometimes in former no-man's land of the front lines.
=>

Drainage constructions (probably civilian in the northern sector of the Western Front), memorial stone, improvised telegraph lines, "peace" (mind you this is from '16 and shows a bloke at a beautifully maintained grave-site, a dead rose and a cross marker on a hill... peace indeed) and a magpie on telegraph wires (why not :?: ).
=>

"The horse and the ass", fresh orderly grave-sites next to a ruin, farmhouse with integrated windmill (no idea where an why).
=>

And the weird final page of the folder... it's files by the Royal Regional Court (probably Royal Prussian, maybe Royal Bavarian or Royal Würtemberg..ian), 2nd civil chamber in the lawsuit of Gerhard vs Gerhard (escalated family issues? inheritance problems? divorce? I have no idea whatsoever :lol: ) put to the files in 1907 and to be kept until 1915 (I suppose that was either criminally ignored or the cards where stored in it after '15 ;) ) ...weird :lol: .
=>

So I hope this was of some interest to you folks ;) .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
Last edited by Raoul Kunz on 01 Oct 2017, 20:33, edited 2 times in total.
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: WW1 '14-'16 fortification engineer's impressions - sketc

Post by Philipp Gross »

A very impressive artifact...and most likely of extreme historical value.

I know I'm repeating myself here, but from a professional point of view I'd like to add....

Well maybe not immediately :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Ohhhh

Are we still doing a 12 month 1918 centenary build GB?

Starting 11:11:2017?

Hope so, it will need some research and retail therapy too ;)

Anything related to the Great War?

Sounds like a fun opportunity to try something completely different to build

Wings seem to be calling me :o

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

"So do you!"
~"Panama Hat" on the "SS Coronado" in '38

Now that we've established our pop-culture bona fides let me say that while this is decidedly in my family's possession it will probably end up in some archive anyway since my branch will die out with my generation, so if you survive me (not all that unlikely) you can personally put it in some acid free folder, I'll even write it down somewhere officially in 27 years once I turn 50 (that much even my father managed, though not much more :lol: ) that it's to be given over to you ;) .
Once this comes to pass, ask Marie, she'll know what to do by then and since she's a creepy person anyway she's the one I'll settle with this this :lol: . (fraterial niceties for the win! :lol: )
Are we still doing a 12 month 1918 centenary build GB?
I certainly hope so ;) . Thanks for looking :D !

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Raoul Kunz wrote:"So do you!"
I am, 5 days a week :lol:

That being said, WW1 from 11/11/17 to 11/11/18 sounds good. All topics sounds good too. I leave it open to debate if we should add use of WW1 stuff afterwards to the possible options (i.e. German FT-17s during WW2).

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Opps :oops:

Sorry Raoul, forgot to comment on the family documents and fortification papers from your Aunt :oops:

I guess Philipp, has found his place in the world :roll: 8-)

Anna has just mentioned the superb stollen too, is it really nearly Christmas :shock:

Time you had some R&R, or P&P?

paint and plastic :lol: :lol:

Catch up after my first week back at work

Best regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Seriously cool indeed 8-) I'm sure most museums would love to have those on display - even if they are just on loan.

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....