Panzer III camo

German, Japanese, Hungarian, Italian, etc
Dennis McQuillen

Panzer III camo

Post by Dennis McQuillen »

I am attempting my first camo paint job on a tank with shurtzen. Would the camo pattern have been painted behind the shurtzen? Or would they have painted only the visible from a distance surfaces.

Basically what I am asking is would they have painted camo on the sides of the turret where it would not be seen?

Here are some pics of the actual vehicle.

Thanks,
Dennis

Rob Matthews

Re: Panzer III camo

Post by Rob Matthews »

Good point Dennis. I've looked through many pics and it's entirely unclear. I surmise that with the relative shortage of paint towards war end that it seems unlikely that the crew would have gone to the effort of painting "inner" Schurzen surfaces. They really can't be seen which is one reason why it's not clear in the pics.

There again - anything probably went - I doubt anyone is going to dispute it either way. I certainly didn't paint mine :?

And Nice scheme BTW :)

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

As usual, it depends on the crew and the available time. The Panzer III on the picture is from Kursk, where usually a lot of time was available for preparation. The turret sides would be visible from the air, so it's definitely reasonable to paint them. The hull sides are a different story however.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Dennis McQuillen

Post by Dennis McQuillen »

Thanks guys,

I have also been looking and I have found pictures where I can see camo on the shurzen but not on the turret sides. That does not mean that it is not there, just that it is not visible in a blurry photo.

I have decided to not paint the sides with any stripes as I think it will make it more interesting. Also I don't know how I would get the airbrush into the tight space between the shurzen and the turret without getting a ton of overspray.

The base coat is totally done now btw, even the roadwheels and shurzen not shown.

Thanks again,
Dennis