100 fun ways to spend a Saturday morning....

Non-modelling related topics. Keep discussions civil. Flaming and personal attacks will not be tolerated.
Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

100 fun ways to spend a Saturday morning....

Post by Gary Boxall »

Number 76. Chimney sweeping.

We have 2 heat invertor pumps which essentially look after themselves as well as a log burning fire which needs a little TLC now and then. Recently, and I have no idea how, but a small bird managed to get itself trapped in the flue. Unfortunately for it, there was no escape and I hope its demise wasn't protracted. After managing to dismantle part of the fire unit I managed to retrieve said bird but left me concerned as to what else may be in there. A chimney fire isn't something that the fire service actively encourage :?
So off to the local mega hardware store for a flue cleaning brush and rods - a little like a 150mm gun barrel cleaning rod set. That was the easy part. Thing is the flue is cleaned from top to bottom and the top is several meters off the ground near the apex of the roof. And I'm not a fan of heights :oops: Yep, I could haver paid someone to do it but that would mean $70 or so less I could spend on model kits :lol:

Anyway, all done now and I lived to tell the tale. Also got a fair bit of crud out of the flue (first clean since it was installed a couple of years ago) so worth the effort. Off shortly to get some more wood for tonight.

Learnt another thing too. Even in winter when the sun shining brightly, it's amazing just how hot a steel roof can get :mrgreen: Cat on a hot tin roof is not a myth :lol:

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Re: 100 fun ways to spend a Saturday morning....

Post by John Everett »

Did the bird have a secret British code strapped to its leg?
"You used up all the glue...............ON PURPOSE!" - Darren McGavin

Completed Campaigns:

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

You managed to do all that in between building tanks?
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Matt Parvis
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Matt Parvis »

What would you do that? Whay wouldn't you just put the elves to work on it? They shouldn't just get to do fun stuff all the time building models. :D

Matt

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!