Things that make you go HHHMMM...

Non-modelling related topics. Keep discussions civil. Flaming and personal attacks will not be tolerated.
Mark Aldrich
Senior Site Contributor.....

Things that make you go HHHMMM...

Post by Mark Aldrich »

So, I was doing some assembly yesterday and came to the step where you assemble the sprockets, idlers, and road wheels. They have you insert poly caps between the sprockets and road wheels for assembly but not the idler. I could not find my bag of poly caps (I had left them on the man cave desk when I was punching all the disks out to fill the ejector marks). Got me to thinking. Why do you need poly caps for the sprocket and wheels but you are gluing the idler without them and since the track is non-workable link-link the track will never roll anyways? Just seemed odd. The things you think about when you can't find your bag of poly caps.
Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War
TreadHead is NOT an ugly word

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Re: Things that make you go HHHMMM...

Post by Adam Durrant »

I have often wondered why they make poly caps so tight that you break off the suspension arms when you try and fit the road wheels...
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

I guess polycaps on the sprockets are useful when fitting the tracks, no matter if workable or not. With the wheels you can get them easily on and off for painting. The idlers could use them as well - I tend to leave them workable if possible, either by adding a little plastic sheet inside the hull or by slightly squeezing the axle stub with pliers to get a tight fit.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

I have read reviews and talked to people about both kits. They basically say that the HobbyBoss is the better designed kit even though there are missing items that Tiger Model included and the Tiger Model kit is more toy like. That kind of made sense with the visible ejector pin marks all over the parts but if it were a toy, you would want it to roll so the link-link track made no sense coupled with the lack of poly caps on the sprockets.

Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Great topic Mark. :)

I was looking at my next car project the other day and inside the body they have molded in a beautifully woven fabric to represent the headliner. The detail is very fine and would respond well to washes. But there are huge ejector pin marks at each corner. To remove them destroys the fine detail and leaving them alone means they can be seen after assembly. :?
Go figure!

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

While I am not a mold maker by any means (other than ex resin casting), I would assume the thought process (generally) would be to make the ejector marks on the Non-visible side. In your case they did. Now whether they could have made them on the roof without sacrificing surface detail I have no idea. I really need to look into this. Why are ejector pins combinations of raised and sunken variations? There has to be a reason. Overall I assume the majority of builders would prefer raised as it is the process of sanding to remove them.

Completed Campaigns: