Normandy, Round 3!

Non-modelling related topics. Keep discussions civil. Flaming and personal attacks will not be tolerated.
Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Normandy, Round 3!

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thanks Vincent, I'm glad you like them :)

We're in the middle of Normandy right now so most places are at the most about one hour of driving away, much better than our previous base of operations in the east.

Day 8: Managed to get to the Musée des Epaves Sous-Marines du Débarquement, which is almost litteraly right around the corner. It's a private collection of various artifacts collected from the sea floor at the invasion beaches, from personal belongings to ship engines and of course tanks. There is a strict photography ban inside the building, enforced by the owner standing guard. The outside exhibits are fair game though.

M5 Stuart:

M4A1 75mm DD with large hatches, this was a rare breed of Sherman with only about 100 made, most of them converted to DDs.

M7 Priest: There was an interesting story with this vehicle. After recovery they found a bag with unsent letters and managed to track down one of the surviving crew members.

M4 Dozer:

Day 9: Went east again, planned to visit Pegasus Bridge, but made an extended stop at the exhibition centre near Arromanches, which offers a great view of the area:

Still a little further east at Vers-sur-Mer, a Sexton stands as a memorial to the Canadian troops involved:

Maybe we'll reach that bridge tomorrow, the ducks in the Caen canal await our old bread... :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Normandy, Round 3!

Post by Philipp Gross »

Allright, time to finally wrap this up.

Day 10: Yep, went to Pegasus Bridge. Which I've photographed a million times before, so I just had a really good hamburger, wich I didn't photograph either :P

On the way back home I spotted a Churchill AVRE hiding in the dunes:

Day 11:
No WW2 today, but instead a trip further inland to Balleroy, which has a really nice Chateau. Turns out the last tour of the day started a few minutes before we arrived, so I just visited the Balloon Museum, which is also there and run by the chateau's owner (who also hosts a balloon festival every year). It has a few nice dioramas concerning the use of balloons during 19th century wars. Regrettably, photos were forbidden inside...

It has an impressive moat. With goats. A Goat Moat. I'm sorry...

Day 12: 100 kilometres on the Autoroute to Cherbourg, only to get a torrential rain after a short time. At least I was positively surprised by the amount of old buildings left standing after the American assault on the harbour.

Speaking of which, they have a French nuclear missile submarine on display:

But of course the only way to enter is to take the 3-4 hour tour through the whole Cité de la Mer. Didn't really have time for that, so here's just Le Redoutable from the outside.

Day 13:
Last day, so we kept it simple and went to Pointe du Hoc, a few kilometres west of our home.

In addition I finally got around to visit the old Tour Vauban at Port-en-Bessin, built in 1694 to keep Dutch and English pirates away:

Aaaaaand that's all for this year. I think I've seen almost everything woth seeing there by now. For next year we'll head to Brittany instead, which is also nice.

Dog Bonus:

:mrgreen:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage