There's a new Tiger in town

Non-modelling related topics. Keep discussions civil. Flaming and personal attacks will not be tolerated.
Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

There's a new Tiger in town

Post by Philipp Gross »

A 1/1 scale one! As you might know the Panzermuseum Munster had a Tiger 1 on display which was on loan by a private collector. Regrettably the museum had to give it back last year. To fill the void, they have now received a 1/1 scale replica of a late model Tiger 1, made from fiberglass over a steel frame. Total weight is three tons. It was created by the German Army's development centre for camouflage and decoys (Technologiestützpunkt Tarnen und Täuschen). Apparently they usually make replica weapons for training. The "model" appears to be a fairly exact replica of the Tiger the museum had on loan, down to camouflage and markings.

Here's a German-language report on the new Tiger, with plenty of photos and a short video of the transport to Munster: Panzer marsch! … ins Museum

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Olivier Carneau
Senior Site Contributor.....
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: There's a new Tiger in town

Post by Olivier Carneau »

It's stange that the country which originally built this famous tank has no sample in his own tank musuem.
Next time I go to visit my friend in Northern Germany, I hope I'll be able to visit DPM again. Once is not enough at all! ;)
Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: There's a new Tiger in town

Post by Philipp Gross »

The winner takes it all :lol:

I guess we can be happy to have such a large collection, even without a genuine Tiger 1 in it. Most of the vehicles in Munster were given back by the western allies long after the war.

Rumour has it there is a Tiger hidden in a lake somewhere in Northern Germany. The people who found it have no intention to raise it, since it would become state property the moment it came out. Obviously there is no motivation to spend a lot of money for nothing in return...

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage