2016, a look back

Non-modelling related topics. Keep discussions civil. Flaming and personal attacks will not be tolerated.
Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

2016, a look back

Post by Philipp Gross »

With 2016 almost over, I thought it might be a good time to look back at this year and what it brought to us. There was enough bad stuff going on worldwide, but at least as far as modelling is concerned we might find something positive? ;)

Personally, things went on as they were....hopes and dreams were crushed as usual by unforgiving reality, but the good thing is, being a pessimist, I don't really care any more :P

On a more positive note, I managed to finish a few kits and bought a lot more... Dioramas or vignettes have become mostly standard for me, if only to provide something to touch the model without risking damage to the kit itself. Of course that has greatly reduced the overall completion time :? I hope I'm getting slightly better each time, it would help with all the delusional plans I have for the future :lol:

The group builds were a fun exercise, and it turns out I really like armoured cars. I managed to finish three of them:

Besides that, the Whippet got me hooked on WW1 armour. More to come in 2017!

The only shelf queen I actually finished...or maybe not, I think it needs a base :P

I horribly failed with the 70's build, thanks to a nasty cold and an unfortunately timed vacation :roll:

And, of course, there's the Tiger, finished in theory, but the diorama base shouldn't take me too long, unless I get caught up in the new GB. If I ever decide what to do :lol:

Of course, as always, I had hoped to finish a lot more and buy a lot less. I failed with both, but of course there are goals to have for 2017... :roll:

So, how was your year, modelling related or otherwise?

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: 2016, a look back

Post by Adam Durrant »

Really only got back into armour modeling this year after having a long chat with Gary outside theatre and being directed to PA. I feel I'm getting better, figures are my next challenge. I've bought a lot of kits this year but completed only 5. The group builds are great, they have given me a bit of direction with building and stop the "what next" whilst staring at a shelf full of kits.

Modeling literature has come a long way in the 20+yrs I've been away from building but the internet is now also awash with lots of positive encouragement and advice like PA.

Otherwise life has been a bit Ground Hog Day. :(

However, I feel like a real modeller again, I already have a shelf queen!

Bring on 2017, my work bench is clear and pending a quiet day on call I hope to start it with a rush :D
Last edited by Adam Durrant on 02 Jan 2017, 05:42, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Olivier Carneau

Re: 2016, a look back

Post by Olivier Carneau »

2016 has been a great modeling year for me and what I got for X-mas bodes well for 2017. The real life was not bad as well, except the security situation in France of course.

Here are the builds I managed to complete in 2016. First one was started in 2015 but only achieved in February so I count it for this year. Seven kits in a year is an exceptional rate of building even if I don't build bases and don't add figures.

It will be hard to do more in 2017 :lol:
Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage