Normandy Report Part 2: Bayeux Museum

Non-modelling related topics. Keep discussions civil. Flaming and personal attacks will not be tolerated.
Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Normandy Report Part 2: Bayeux Museum

Post by Philipp Gross »

Bayeux is famous for that oversized piece of cloth, but they also have a quite impressive museum on the Battle of Normandy. Due to the sheer amount of photos I'll have to break up the report into two or three parts. Today we start with the outside exhibition, consisting of an early production M4A1, an M10, a Churchill Crocodile, a Jagdpanzer 38 as well as assorted minor stuff. It's all standing in the rain but still in rather good shape and well taken care of. Here's a walkaround of the vehicles.

The M4A1 - for those less enlightened by the Holy Church of Sherman, this one is a somewhat rare example and still in its wartime state. Most other preserved Shermans have been modified post-war or are simply later models. Shermans of this type were the most common during the the Normandy campaign.

The M10 - just like the Sherman this specimen is more or less as it was back in 1944. Of course M10s are somewhat less common these days than Shermans.

The Crocodile - quite infamously used during the sieges of Le Havre and Brest, Like many these days, it's missing its fuel trailer.

The Jagdpanzer 38 ("Hetzer") - to be honest I don't know if this is a genuine WW2 example or a postwar Swiss G13. If it is the latter, it has been rebuilt quite well.

Other stuff - there's this ship gun, I'm afraid I've forgotten what type exactly :?

And also a concrete tetraeder salvaged from the Atlantikwall:

That's it for today, come back later for part 2, wherein the museum interior shall be explored :)

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz
Senior Site Contributor.....
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Normany Report Part 2: Bayeux Museum

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Thanks! Much appreciated Philipp - especially the tanks that you photographed according to modelling usefulness in your choice of angles ;) !

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Jan Persson

Post by Jan Persson »

Thank you for sharing, they are in surprisingly good shape.

Wonder how my Renault will look in +60 years from now :?

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

You're welcome :D

Jan, I'm sure the body of your Renault is made of slightly thinner steel plates...unless it's a Renault 35 :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Just awesome photos Philipp! Thank you so much 8-)

Question of the Sherman. What is that on the left front where the hull aerial mount(?) is? I know there are different styles of that part, but i have never seen that. Looks like a vent of some sort?

What camera do you use? Takes good photos!
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thanks Woody :D

On small hatch Shermans this bulge was indeed intended for an antenna mount, but to my knowledge it was never used as such since the radio was always mounted in the turret. On the M4A1 the existing hole was used for an additional ventilator to get the fumes from the 30cal out.

My camera is a Nikon D3200 with a Nikon DX 18-105mm lens. It's my first "real" camera after a monstrous early-2000s Jenoptik JD 3300, a tiny Pentax Optio S60 and a slightly bigger Fuji S1500 bridge camera. There are probably better devices on the market right now but so far I have absolutely no reason to change. It works beautifully in almost all lighting conditions. For model photos I use a Nikkor 40mm macro lens.

For some reason my phone also has something resembling a digital image sensor. I don't like to talk about that. :P

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Jan Persson

Post by Jan Persson »

Philipp Gross wrote:You're welcome :D

Jan, I'm sure the body of your Renault is made of slightly thinner steel plates...unless it's a Renault 35 :lol:

Philipp
On the other hand, I like to think I drive slightly more careful :D

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

But with a tank you don't need to drive carefully :lol:

That being said, I uploaded the whole bunch to my Flickr account in glorious full resolution. Of course there's more to come. The Longues-sur-Mer photos are also there.

Bayeux Memorial Museum of the Battle of Normandy

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Justin Wooding

Re: Normandy Report Part 2: Bayeux Museum

Post by Justin Wooding »

Thanks Philipp. Interesting about the ventilator, i have never noticed it before. Will be one thing i am looking for on Sherman photos now :P

Thanks for the Flickr link. I will check them all out on the desktop when i get home. The phone is not doing them justice :P
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Normandy Report Part 2: Bayeux Museum

Post by Philipp Gross »

If you don't know it yet, here's all you could possibly want to know about Shermans gathered in one useful website: http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/index.html

As for the photos, if I had tried to browse them on my phone it would have probably exploded :? :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns: