Going to Normandy...again!

Non-modelling related topics. Keep discussions civil. Flaming and personal attacks will not be tolerated.
Vincent Power
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Going to Normandy...again!

Post by Vincent Power »

As you didn't get photos on Day 8 you'll have to go back and do it over again Philipp. I think that's the rule :lol:
Really like the WW2 museum pics. The Tanks outside are still in wonderful condition aren't they. Did you notice the blade on the Bulldozer? Its covered in different sized sections of metal for some reason. Battle damage perhaps? :?
I love the rusty patina on the gun in the Bunker too.
Great photos Philipp. :D

Cheers,
Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thanks once more :D

Probably still some time to take landscape photos...the challenge is to stop in time to take them... :?

The Dozer came to Bayeux during the invasion and stayed with a local quarry afterwards. It was kept in service there until the 80s when the museum took it over, still in perfect working condition. The patches on the blade are most likely from its long postwar career. Supposedly it was capable of precision work unheard of with more modern machines...

As with pretty much everything else before, I made a lot more photos than I've shown here, I'll present them all in some way or another once I have a proper machine to work with :geek:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Thanks for the explanation Philipp, it makes perfect sense. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Hi Philipp,

How's the holiday going? :D

I remembered i have some books in my library about the Fallscirmjager of the 6th Regiment and their battles with the American Airborne on D-Day and after. Great books but text is all French :P

The books draw a lot of great stuff from a museum that is between Carentan and (closer to)Saint-Côme-du-Mont. Looks like a great museum! It is called Dead Mans Corner Museum....

http://dday-experience.com/
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

We're going home tomorrow and a lot of things will remain unvisited I'm afraid. I guess I won't have time for another update before Sunday but to be honest there's not much left to show anyway. Having your home on the eastern end of the invasion beaches makes trips to the far west somewhat tedious. Especially if you are with other people with different interests you have to motivate first :roll:

Oh well, gotta have something left for the next visit, whenever that may be :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Phew....finally back home yesterday. Not that keen on making another 11 hour 800 km drive any time soon to be honest :?

Anyhow, with most of the post-return chaos subdued, here's all the rest:

Day 11:
Le Havre, greatest port on the French Atlantic coast. The city was almost completely leveled during the war, with enourmous civilian losses, because someone on the Allied side decided a siege in the style of the 17th century would be more fun. For that reason you might notice a conspicuous absence of an Avenue Eisenhower or a Boulevard De Gaulle on today's city map...

The result of post-war rebuilding isn't that pretty to look at, so have a big chunk of steel instead:

You can see a few of these every day. Quite impressive...

Back home via Pont-l'Évêque, another town that was almost entirely obliterated by the war, but here the locals told the modernist architects to go where the sun don't shine and simply rebuilt their town in the traditional style. And whenever you think you're safe from WW2 for a while, you see something like this - not that I complained :roll:

Day 12:
Found a nice stretch of beach behind the dunes near Merville and simply stayed there for a while. You know, simply relaxing on a vacation can be quite fun too :P

....until a modeller's insticts kicked in :oops: :lol:

Later we once again ended up at the cafe at Pegasus Bridge, where I finally found the time to take a few shots of the 5cm PaK 38 auf Ringstandlafette :geek:

Day 13:
Back to the same beach as before, this time better equipped for a longer stay. Someone else took over building fortifications this time :lol:

Nothing of note happened that day, except finding out the hard way that quite a lot of places serve warm food only during noon........

Epilogue:

And that's it - 15 days, 2000+ km on the road, brought back 786 photos with 7.44 GB, two bottles of Cidre and a 2l bottle of Coke Zero, half a dozen cookie tins and a few of my friends from the Rhinovirus family, though not very agressive ones this time. The French are just that polite. :lol:

Back home in the last light. Back to work on Monday. I need a vacation. :P

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

A "Grand day/fortnight Out"

Well recorded and presented, back to reality and a dull cool Monday morning in Autumn.

Perhaps the holiday report will refresh the warm memories whilst you're assembling them for us?

I want to see them , so that's 25% of us in :lol:

Look forward to your final report

Happy return to work :roll:

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

[...] half a dozen cookie tins [...]
Thanks - have one of those right here, traded it against a couple of fresh muffins and a slice of English Teacake :D .

Looking forward to the report! Though I had some of it in person already :lol: .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thanks again everyone!

I'll put together a few reports on the more interesting subjects in the coming days/weeks/months and most likely upload everything relevant to my Flickr account.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Good to see you back Philipp and I'm glad you enjoyed the break. I'm looking forward to seeing the reports too so I guess we are up to 50% now! :lol:

Vincent
Completed Campaigns: