Going to Normandy...again!

Non-modelling related topics. Keep discussions civil. Flaming and personal attacks will not be tolerated.
Justin Wooding

Re: Going to Normandy...again!

Post by Justin Wooding »

Philipp Gross wrote:
The place has free wifi so I'll be able to keep in touch with the 3-4 of you who are still around :P I might even attempt to post regular updates on the stuff we've visited.
Hi Philipp,

I am back again :oops: Really liking the holiday snaps. You are so lucky to be right at the doorstep of such historically rich regions. Australia, is a lucky country and a beautiful one, but we lack that deep and rich history. We are so young.

Keep posting, i find it really interesting 8-)
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Good to have you back Woody! :D

Thanks for the kind words - I guess you take such things for granted if you always have lived in Europe. Even in my completely boring home village they dug up a few Merowingan era graves while building a new road a few weeks ago.

Day 7:

We went back to the little Louis XVI-era fort which was open to the public today only to find out the entire region is on complete lockdown for some sort of mud obstacle course run in the next town and a multi-day Fantasy festival in the town after that. Judging from the amount of people we saw going there, you'd think they resurrected Elvis and the Beatles to play together there....

And yet we got there with a generous detour though fields and tiny villages... The fortress had fallen into ruins following WW2 but has been restored by a volunteer group over the last 40 years. When they are done it will look again as it did during the 1790s....with the hard to remove WW2 additions, that is...

With more rain and lousy weather in general we once again ended the day on the shores of the Caen canal...which is really not that interesting but has a nice bar/cafe/restaurant next to it :mrgreen:

Philipp (who is really not as inclined to alcohol as it may seem...)
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Vincent Power »

Philipp Gross wrote: We went back to the little Louis XVI-era fort which was open to the public today only to find out the entire region is on complete lockdown for some sort of mud obstacle course run in the next town and a multi-day Fantasy festival in the town after that. Judging from the amount of people we saw going there, you'd think they resurrected Elvis and the Beatles to play together there....

Philipp (who is really not as inclined to alcohol as it may seem...)
Go on..... admit it Philipp........you got dressed up didn't you.... :lol:

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Sorry, I did bring clothes for all sorts of occasions (and climates), but planning for THAT would have been excessive :lol:

But if it weren' t for the size problem, I'd probably go as a well fed Hobbit :P

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Philipp Gross wrote: With more rain and lousy weather in general
Sounds like we have do something in common. The rain just keeps coming here! :|

This is the creek crossing 200m from our place...

Some calves with their own little island...

Anyway, back to your holiday! That fort is fantastic, i love the stone work. Great reference photos, so it's really appreciated that you are sharing your holiday snaps with us. You made reference to the year 1790.....Captain Cook had only set foot on Australia's shores just two years before that :lol: :lol:
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Sounds like your first week has been a busy one Philip :D :D

Week 2 with some chill time? :D

Seems we are all having some weather at the moment :roll:

Enjoy your holiday :D

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thanks gents!

We had up to 32C during the first few days...and then a sharp drop to 16-20. Supposedly it's going to be better during the next week. Strangely enough the weather can often change completely from one day to the other.

The first week hasn't been exactly busy, I still haven't seen anything I had planned to visit except for maybe Pegasus Memorial which I already knew and which is basically next door from here. I still hope to get at least to Bayeux and the area around Omaha Beach.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

We had up to 32C during the first few days...and then a sharp drop to 16-20. Supposedly it's going to be better during the next week. Strangely enough the weather can often change completely from one day to the other.
I can console you with the fact that it's the same "at home" - minus the cool history - the air defence belt "Südliche Wetterau" is nothing to write home about :lol: .

(I'm sorry that I manage to be so hard to reach, somehow I'm never there when you find the time to fire up Skype or WhatsApp :? :oops: )

Best regards to Normandy

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Weather aside, it looks like you are enjoying yourself Philipp. Any holiday is a good holiday I say. ;) I think we are all enjoying the photos you are sharing with us, I know I am. :)
Cheers,
Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thanks again everyone!

Day 8:
Went around the countryside a little. Forgot my camera at home so there's not much to show. Google might help, but it fails to capture the outstanding beauty of this country.

Day 9:

Finally, the big one. We drove all the way to Bayeux. We took the tapestry tour last time, so now I had an opportunity to visit the excellent WW2 museum. A few impressions:

After that it was only a short way to Arromanches, so here's the obvious:

The museum there is nice too but a little dated, both the building and the exhibition, so I didn't go there this time. Instead we took a little detour to yet another attraction I missed previously:

That's the gun battery at Longues-sur-Mer, the only one with the guns still in place. At least three of four, one has been blown across the countryside, with bits and pieces still sticking out of the ground. One even has hydraulic oil still seeping out of the recoil cylinder...after 72 years!

Day 10:
A short trip to nearby Caen, the city of William the Conqueror, who also happens to be buried there. Right there to be precise.

Despite the RAF bombing and the heavy fighting, Caen still has many beautiful corners full of ancient buildings. But let's not mention the post-war quarters, shall we? :P

Oh, and I even found a gun :lol:

Home via Pegasus Bridge, stopped for a coffee in the sun, found this instead:

More English tourists should use these :P

Philipp
Completed Campaigns: